New Discussion

Re: Real-Time Location not working anymore

SOLVED
Go to solution
JeromeB
Occasional Advisor

Real-Time Location not working anymore

Hello,

I used to have a problem with retrieving updates of both IMC and switches.

Upgrading to version (via manual download) iMC PLAT 7.3 (E0605P06) solved the issue, but created another one with Real-time location now returning me everytime "No match found." with MAC adresses, when it sometimes works with IP searches, unless searching for a switch located after a Wfi bridge...but anyway IP search is a lot less useful to me than looking for MAC addresses location during my daily work.

As I read it on these forums, I tried enabling Realtime Location Extension in System settings, which didn't improve the situation, neither did rebooting the server and/or restarting all IMC services.

I also have PCM as backup system while transitioning to IMC, and PCM has no problem fetching MAC addresses.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated !

Many thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14
parnassus
Honored Contributor

That's very interesting. I too have an HPE IMC 7.3 E0605P06 and so I tried the Real-Time Location feature...it works both using IP Addresses and MAC Addresses showing the Switch and its related Port behind which that IP/MAC is discovered...Have you tried to see if show arp and show lldp info remote-device work correctly? what's about VLANs topology and VLANs routing?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
JeromeB
Occasional Advisor

Hello Parnassus, and thank you for your reply.

We have mostly HP Procurve & Aruba switches, and show arp works without problems. I also often use the lldp remote device command for troubleshooting/inventory purposes, which generally works fine, albeit depending on the end-device type (doesn't show anything with AeroHive access points, for instance).

VLAN routing is handled by our Juniper SRX clusters and their topology is displayed flawlessly on the IMC map.

I just tried a show mac-address on a random switch (HP 2530-24), which located the port successfully, and then used the same MAC address both in PCM (Find Node tool) & IMC (Real Time Location) : it took like 1min on PCM, but it found it correctly, and IMC showed me again "No match found.", but almost instantly, which is quite surprising and makes me wonder if it even performs any check at all.

I also added the prefix of this device-type MAC to the mac-vendor section of IMC (right below Real Time location), which unfortunatly didn't change the result.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

I have the same issue on iMC PLAT 7.3 (E0605H05) but I think its been happening before that  version, at least intermittently. Now though I can't find any ip or mac. It does spin the wheel a few times but comes up empty, even for the switch IP itself on the management VLAN, not just other VLANs

HP Pro-Curve switches.

jmpk
HPE Pro

Hello All,

The current functionality of RTLS is that iMC will question the known gateways for information on where a MAC address might be. This is done using SNMP requests to the gateway devices. 

Currently the HPE IMC team has some open bugs realted to RTLS issue, So i would suggest to log HPE Support case

Thanks,
I work for HPE 

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

I did log this as an issue. There is a patch coming that will resolve this. 

faceplate
Frequent Visitor

I installed E0605H07 and it is still not working for IP address or MAC address.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

I don't see that patch posted. Did you get it from HPE support?

I logged this at  support and they sent me a replacement imcl2topodm.exe file (located in <Drive>:\Program Files\iMC\server\bin) dated 12/5/18 which I replaced. After that it was working. I was told it would be deployed in the next patch.

Anything in the release notes? This would most likely been listed as a fix.

faceplate
Frequent Visitor

The Aruba/HPE tech sent me the link to download this patch yesterday. He said it was supposed to fix my issue but it didn't.

He didn't send me release notes concerning the patch. I will ask the tech about the replacement file that worked for you. Thanks

faceplate
Frequent Visitor

The issue is now solved by getting the latest version of 

\server\bin\imcl2topodm.exe