108784 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: Sonicwall firewall configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
tabrezgoilkar
Occasional Advisor

Sonicwall firewall configuration

I am trying to configure sonicwall devices in IMC i am getting basic information after configuring SNMP and SSH but unable to get CPO, Memory and other information also in IMC console it is showing Unknown SNMP device. Trying hard to figure this out but no luck so far

7 REPLIES 7
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

So SNMP is working, but IMC doesn't detect it as a Sonicwall device? One the Device Details page, does it display a sysOID?

That's pretty easy to remedy. There's nothing magic about it. IMC has a database mapping sysOIDs (aka sysObjectIDs) to vendors & models. They have a default DB, but you can add your own definitions.

Go to System -> Resource Management -> Device Definition.

You'll need to define a Vendor, a Device Series, and a Device Model. Call them whatever makes sense, and define icons/categories as appropriate. Define them in that order (because a series needs a vendor, and a model needs a series).

When you come to adding the Device Model, you can define the matching sysOID. Easiest way to do that is to use the "query device" button, and select your device.

Start with that, then we can look at things like CPU, memory, etc. What other steps have you done so far?

tabrezgoilkar
Occasional Advisor

Thanks yes now after adding device vendor, series and model now its showing as sonicwall, now how can we monitor CPU memory utilization and other resources

tabrezgoilkar
Occasional Advisor

what i aobserved is after creating a new vendor, series and Models, all the Sonicwall Models take same model name instead of automatically reading model nam from the firewall. for example i create a new Model name TZ105 Wireless, after creating this Model i found that all other sonicwall devices which were added to IMC autoamtically changed the model name as TZ105 Wireless but actual model numbers are tz300, tz205 etc.. 

is there any possibility where we configure IMC in such way that it reads everything from the sonicwall device and not from the manual options?

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@tabrezgoilkar wrote:

what i aobserved is after creating a new vendor, series and Models, all the Sonicwall Models take same model name instead of automatically reading model nam from the firewall. for example i create a new Model name TZ105 Wireless, after creating this Model i found that all other sonicwall devices which were added to IMC autoamtically changed the model name as TZ105 Wireless but actual model numbers are tz300, tz205 etc.. 

is there any possibility where we configure IMC in such way that it reads everything from the sonicwall device and not from the manual options?

What do those devices report for their sysOID? Do they report different sysOIDs, or are they all the same?

tabrezgoilkar
Occasional Advisor

sysOIDs is same, and i have uploaded MIB from Sonicwall and complied on IMC and when i do the SNMP walk on device model it gives correct model number. how can i set that MIB to automatically detect the model number?

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

IMC (and many other NMS platforms) use the sysOID to identify the model. Most vendors use different OIDs for each model - e.g. every device model from Cisco (including all variants, such as 8-port, 24-port, 48-port) have their own sysOID. 

If the Sonicwall devices store their model information in a non-standard location, IMC will not be able to detect it. IMC will show them all as the same type.

tabrezgoilkar
Occasional Advisor
Solution

thanks for the reply