1753905 Members
9299 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Spanning Tree Question

lskarha
Occasional Advisor

Spanning Tree Question

We have several switches sending STP traps to iMC reporting ports blocked and offline then online. After verifying that physical loops do not exist on these switches I turned to google and found that an end-point power cycle can sometimes cause the switch port to vet for a potential loop and do a quick block/offline/online and then once verified as a non-loop - leave the port in an enabled/forwarding state not withstanding sending traps for this loop-test to my iMC. From what I understand this is normal and by design.

My problem is: that I want to receive legit loop traps, but I don't give a rip when the switch is vetting a port but both scenarios send the same trap message to iMC. So it looks like I have to weed through the vetting traps to actually find the rare legit loop. Is there a way to filter the vetting traps and continue to receive the actual loop traps?

Thanks for any assistance

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Spanning Tree Question

Have you considered to enable loop-protection feature on all relevant ports dedicated to access/edge devices and consequently enable the releated trap (loop-protect trap loop-detected)?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
RPapaux
Valued Contributor

Re: Spanning Tree Question

Configure the non-uplink ports as EDGE ports. If you are using MSTP this shoud avoid topology recalculation on UP and DOWN terminal ports.