1752716 Members
5609 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Topology maps moving around

legoman
Advisor

Topology maps moving around

Hi folks...  I'm seeing what looks like buggy behaviour in the topology maps. Things don't always stay where you've put them. One particular problem, that I can recreate reliably, is when opening a subview that's reasonably large, click off that subview then collapse it, the subview icon has moved to wherever IMC felt it ought to be... This is really irritating.

We're in the process of moving everything from a more limited, but stable, mapping product to IMC. Having it do unexpected things is a problem. 

Anyone else seen this, and maybe know what I can do about it (other than raise a case with HP)?

3 REPLIES 3
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Topology maps moving around

Yes I see the same thing 7.3 E506. Also annoying is that it saves that new location when you close the view. If it reverted back it would be less bad.

Only workaround I can suggest is to use the cloud rather than subview. You specify the view to go to when you double click. Then create an opposite cloud to return. The cloud will take on the color of any device below that has an alert against it. 

Nodes can be in both views. You will have to manually add a link from a node to the cloud.

While lacks some benefits of the subview, it doesn't move around, and achieves similar objective of declutering the main view. But opening it adds another open view that will count against the maximum open count.

legoman
Advisor

Thanks, I'll have a play with that. I've opened a support case anyway to see what they have to say about this. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed. The mapping in IMC is both brilliant and terrible. It's so easy for someone to completely screw up a map with one click and accidentally save it, and also no way I've found to restore a map. Ah well.... We'll keep plugging away.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

There is a logic to the subview behavior. The subview folder icon, when collapsed, will be located in the geometric center of the colored area taken up by the nodes in the subview, when its expanded.

The left, right, top, bottom most nodes define the edges of the subview area. You can only set the area of the subview by manually placing the nodes to force the edges to where you want them.

If the nodes in the subview haved been moved, and that changes boundaries of the area of the subview, then the subview icon will move when the the subivew is collapsed. 

If the subview nodes are not moved (or the boundaries of the area don't change), then the subview folder icon stays in the same spot when the subview is collpased.

So if you want to control the location of the subview folder icon, manually place the nodes in the subivew so the area is centered on that spot.

There is a lock function, but that only keeps the operator from moving the icons at the top level - moving the subivew icons will still change the area and the location of the folder icon.