108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Unable to download any sort of firmware for switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
FoxtrotOff
Advisor

No Dennis, they didn't, the CSR on the phone just said i should speak with our reseller and get support from them.

I know i can obviously purchase support but i don't see the point, it should be supported for the first year, if you purchase anything in the UK its covered by 12 months guaruntee, this for some reason isnt? I understand we should maybe have checked this but with it being a standard in the UK and this being the first time i have come across this sort of limitation on software support we never did check.

Frankly we are just going to totally flatten the server and start again with IMC so that we can start with E0303P16 and hopefully it should work from there. The wonders of virtualization.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Welcome to the world of Enterprise software!

I'm not sure about the relevant UK law, but what you tend to find is that those consumer protections apply to consumer transactions - e.g. if you're buying an iPhone. They don't generally apply to business transactions. So charging for support is pretty much standard across all enterprise software & hardware vendors. It's a major source of revenue.

Normally the quote includes the first 12 months of support as a separate line item. Businesses will usually capex the first year's support, and after that it becomes an Opex expense.

I would not expect to see different behaviour if you rebuild the server. You'll still need to start with an earlier 7.1 version, and upgrade to E0303P16 (it's a patch, not a standalone install). You'll also probably need to re-do the license key if you do a complete VM rebuild.

FoxtrotOff
Advisor
Solution

st to update this thread, i have indeed rebuilt the server and i am seeing downloads complete now.

I totally wiped the system, reinstalled 2012 R2, installed E0303 Standard, without starting it i then updated immediately to e0303p16. I have just tested a download and i am happy to say the downloads are now working. I just need to reconfigure IMC to how it was configured before.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.