1752795 Members
6164 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: WSM 7.1 (E0303) & MSM765zl 6.3.0.1-16978 - Broken/Missing/limted functions

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

WSM 7.1 (E0303) & MSM765zl 6.3.0.1-16978 - Broken/Missing/limted functions

I decided to test out some of the IMC related WSM > MSM functionality, having previously managed configuration using the MSM GUI in conjunction w PCM. So far my use of WSM has been for monitoring, but using IMC more might be useful.

I noticed some limitations and some functions that did not seem to work properly - not show stoppers but WSM does not offer independence for me from the MSM console. I may also have configured my network in some fashion not intended for management by IMC - so feedback is appreciated on better ways to do it.

My exsiting WLANs are set to egress users on to the switch the AP is connected to, not the controller, and i set the egress vlan via radius/UAM services based on user

First, my MSM seems to be discovered and configured using the management console, snmp and ssh, but further synchronization on the Service>WLAN Manager>Resource Management>ACs screen fails. Any ideas on this?

Maybe firmware? Was on 6.2.0.1 so upgraded to 6.3.0.1 (I don't trust the 0.0 release, and usually the latest release does not work on the mgmt tool so well (at least on PCM), so waiting on 6.4.0.1 before going farther)

These were tasks:

Create a radius profile

Create a WLAN (VSC) for MAC, and for 802 authentication

- add WLAN with dynamic encryption & specify WPA > creates using only wpa

- add WLAN with dynamic encrption & specify WPA2 > creates using WPA or WPA2 - screen shows WPA2, but result is both. 

- Add wlan with dynamic encryption & specify WPA or WPA2 > creates using only WPA2 - the two wpa2 options are reversed.

- All WLANs are created with  both authentication and access control. I only want authentication so must change in GUI

- RADIUS profile specified correctly, but accounting is not configured for the profile specified. Must use GUI if you want users to show up in UAM> Note RADIUS profile creation does not have entry for accounting.

- WLANs created on the MSM since discovery do not show up in IMC - synch failure issue above?

BIND it to a GROUP - I'm not using VLAN egress binding on the controller. But if the WLAN is there I can add to a group/delete from group

Modify settings - 

- changing WLAN setting on Service>WLAN Manager>msm(10.10.100.7)>WLAN Configuration Modify will change the WLAN and synch the AP

Enable/Disable WLAN

- Service>WLAN Manager>WLAN Services>WLAN_NAME using the gear icon will disable the WLAN but not synch the AP. Must be done manually through the AP list

WLANs added on MSM not showing in IMC, WLANS added on IMC can be bound to group, but aren't visible on AP when looking on the individual AP config. But as AP firmware still shows 6.2.0.1 something is obviously not synched.

3 REPLIES 3
Lynn-Marie
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Did you ever get any answers for your questions? I've forwarded your post to some experts...we'll see if anyone has info or advice for you.

Kind regards,

Lynn-Marie

Accept or Kudo

Lynn-Marie
Valued Contributor

Updates:

1) Tech support tells me that MSM V6.4.2.0-B19648 and iMC_WSM_7.1_E0303P01 have fixed the sync issues.

2) There is much improved functionality for the MSM controllers in WSM now vs a year ago, but there still is not complete parity with the MSM controllers vs the Comware controllers, and you will still have to perform tasks in the MSM management interface.

I hope this helps!

Lynn-Marie

Accept or Kudo

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Tests repeated with iMC WSM 7.1 (E0303P01) &  MSM 6.4.1.0-17746 -

Create a WLAN (VSC) for MAC, and for 802 authentication

- add WLAN with dynamic encryption & specify WPA2 > FIxed (mostly) It does create correctly on MSM using  WPA2 and AES but the IMC - screens shows WPA2 and Cpher of both TKIP +AES

- Add wlan with dynamic encryption & specify WPA or WPA2 > FIxed (mostly) It does create correctly on MSM using  WPA or WPA2 and TKIP + AES but the IMC - screens shows WPA or WPA2 and only Cpher of AES - 

Now, the two cipher display options are reversed, but as the settings are made correctly, and you can't manipulate cipher on imc anyway, its only cosmetic

- All WLANs are created with  both authentication and access control.  - unchanged. Note - this is the default for WLAN created using MSM gui, so IMC is in line with MSM GUI on this, but GUI does offer control of these separately. 

- RADIUS profile specified correctly, but accounting is not configured for the profile specified. Unchanged - this is kind of critical as it impacts a bunch of imc functionality that depends on accounting. 

- WLANs created on the MSM since discovery do not show up in IMC - this is fixed.

BIND it to a GROUP - I'm not using VLAN egress binding on the controller. But if the WLAN is there I can add to a group/delete from group

Modify settings - 

- changing WLAN setting on Service>WLAN Manager>msm(10.10.100.7)>WLAN Configuration Modify will change the WLAN and synch the AP

Enable/Disable WLAN -  not fixed on this screen

- Service>WLAN Manager>WLAN Services>WLAN_NAME using the gear icon will enable/disable the WLAN but does not synch the AP.  Must use GUI or Service > WLAN Manager > your_msm> Fit AP List  > your_AP to synch if you change here.

BUT - on Service > WLAN Manager> Configuration Management> MSM tab> WLAN Batch Configuration > Batch Modify WLANs - changing state enable/disable DOES synch the AP after making the change - I didn't test this on previous version (maybe not available? - can't recall)

WLANs added on MSM not showing in IMC, WLANS added on IMC can be bound to group, but aren't visible on AP when looking on the individual AP config. Fixed - may take a while to synch but it does update with correct information.

Progress has been made - I realize GUI is still needed - but as there are still limits on imc function, any MSM users should check both places. Reduces imc utility though.

Hope this helps