1751790 Members
5050 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What causes a cloud to appear in 3ND

PapaDoc

What causes a cloud to appear in 3ND

When we do a network discovery we sometimes get clouds appearing in the map. What causes this and how do we resolve it ?

The Doc
The Doc
3 REPLIES 3
EthernetNinja
Occasional Advisor

Re: What causes a cloud to appear in 3ND

Hi PapaDoc,

From my understanding this behavior stems from 3ND not being able to communicate to the device(s) (Usually a switch.) correctly. Not having enough data results in the map not looking the way you might expect. You may be seeing clouds and orphand devices in the upper left corner of the map.

To help resolve this, I would do the following:

1) Make sure 3ND is up to date. 3.0 SP1 is the current version. 3ND requires periodic updates to add functionality for new devices.

2) Make sure SNMP is correctly set up on your device.

Example:

1) Configure SNMP community strings.

snmp-agent community read public

snmp-agent community read private

(Once you verify that this works, you may want to use different community strings.)

2) Configure SNMP version.

snmp-agent sys-info version all

Post a reply if you are still having problems!

Hiyah!

This message was edited by EthernetNinja on 1-20-09 @ 1:15 PM
Hiyah!
seawave
Occasional Contributor

Hi Papadoc,

sometimes clouds appear in Network Director if the network topology is unstable. For example, there may be too frequent topology updates in a spanning tree environment.

Check your equipment's manual to find out how to display the list of mac addresses connected to the device. Take a few samples. If the list changes and there are frequent spanning tree topology changes, the network topology is unstable and you may have a device misconfiguration somewhere on your network.

synthe_2000

Hello, i have installed the 3ND 3.0 SP1. I have a 7903e chassis on my network. The 3ND find it but i can monitor it, i have the error message: "coulnd'nt find unit information to monitor the system". I can manage my 7903e with device manager. I also have a 7906e with i have no problem.

here is the end of the configuration :

snmp-agent

snmp-agent local-engineid 8000002B0300209C6B9193

snmp-agent community read public

snmp-agent community write privatechperpi

snmp-agent log all

snmp-agent sys-info version all

snmp-agent group v2c groupadmin ( i put that line manually)

snmp-agent target-host trap address udp-domain 10.70.70.70 params securityname monitor ( i put that line manually)

#

user-interface aux 0

authentication-mode password

set authentication password cipher SLX9J`\>C.>Y!U6L"B8W^Q!!

user-interface vty 0 4

user privilege level 3

set authentication password cipher SLX9J`\>C.>Y!U6L"B8W^Q!!

#

I used the debug function, here is the result:

0 main INFO com.coms.wsd.tns.shelf.logging.LoggingConfigurator LoggingConfigurator: Logging config file: C:\Program Files\3Com\Network Director\diagnostic\logging_config.properties

15 main INFO com.coms.wsd.tns.shelf.logging.LoggingConfigurator LoggingConfigurator: Logging to file: C:\Program Files\3Com\Network Director\bin\..\diagnostic\discodbg.log

15 main INFO com.coms.wsd.tns.shelf.logging.LoggingConfigurator LoggingConfigurator: Logging to file: C:\Program Files\3Com\Network Director\bin\..\diagnostic\debug.html

15 main INFO com.coms.wsd.tns.shelf.logging.LoggingConfigurator LoggingConfigurator: Logging to file: C:\Program Files\3Com\Network Director\bin\..\diagnostic\NWTimingsDebug.log

15 main INFO com.coms.wsd.tns.shelf.logging.LoggingConfigurator LoggingConfigurator: Logging to file: C:\Program Files\3Com\Network Director\bin\..\diagnostic\NWRequestDebug.log

15 main INFO com.coms.wsd.tns.shelf.logging.LoggingConfigurator LoggingConfigurator: Logging to file: C:\Program Files\3Com\Network Director\bin\..\diagnostic\NWPDUDebug.log

15 main INFO com.coms.wsd.tns.shelf.logging.LoggingConfigurator LoggingConfigurator: Logging to file: C:\Program Files\3Com\Network Director\bin\..\diagnostic\add_device.log

15 main INFO com.coms.wsd.tns.shelf.logging.LoggingConfigurator LoggingConfigurator: Logging to file: C:\Program Files\3Com\Network Director\bin\..\diagnostic\mapdbg.log

1625 main ERROR com.coms.wsd.tns.server.trapmgr.TMTrapManager Failed to register for traps

76718 main ERROR com.coms.wsd.tns.server.framework.controller.CRController Error loading component: com.coms.wsd.tns.server.trapmgr.TMTrapManager

76718 main ERROR com.coms.wsd.tns.server.ipchange.ICIPConfigChange Failed to get Trap Manager component

77765 main ERROR com.coms.wsd.tns.server.device.traplogger.DeviceTrapEventLogger Failed to get Trap Manager component

87562 BT - ClientCmdQueue ERROR com.coms.wsd.tns.server.tools.reporter.SimpleTableInfo Could not construct column for table, class com.coms.wsd.tns.baseapipublic.reporter.columns.DeviceType

2677411 BT - ClientCmdQueue ERROR com.coms.wsd.tns.server.trapmgr.TMTrapManager Timed out waiting for trap provider disposal

2677411 Trap Manager Main ERROR com.coms.wsd.tns.server.trapmgr.TMTrapManager Timed out waiting for trap provider disposal

Anyone has an idea???

Thanks