1748183 Members
3579 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: different subnet in IMC

johnnym57
Occasional Advisor

different subnet in IMC

Hi. Can anyone please advise me the best way to monitor devices on a VLAN in IMC.

I had moved some building management stuff to a separate VLAN away from our native VLAN 1 and want alarms on these devices if they stop responding etc. which I had when they were on VLAN1.

How can I get IMC to recognise devices on the VLAN, would a 2nd Ethernet card in the IMC PC which is connected to an access port on the new VLAN work or is there some other way of configuring IMC to recognise these devices now please?

I am not worried about monitoring switches on the VLAN as these are being monitored by IMC via VLAN1 just the building management devices on the new VLAN which are fairly dumb things.

Thank you. 

5 REPLIES 5
akg7
HPE Pro

Hi,

Could you please tell the IMC version which you are using and also explain issue litte bit in detail.

Thank You!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Normally you would route to that network. IMC does not need to be on the same VLAN. Do you have routing set up such that IMC can send packets to those devices?

johnnym57
Occasional Advisor

Hi. The version of IMC is "iMC PLAT 7.3 (E0504).

I would like to monitor these devices on a separate VLAN by setting up an alarm in IMC in case they stop responding., they are not the most reliable devices in the world. They are already monitored on VLAN 1 but obviously when they move VLANs they will have a different IP number, The renumbering is on the advice of the vendor to take them off the main network. I have tried one device and it works fine but then realise the existing alarm in IMC no longer works as IMC does not look at that VLAN (currently!).

I also worry IMC would be looking at a separate VLAN on the same switches but I'm assuming that if the switches have no IP setup on that VLAN then IMC won't discover them. IMC discovers devices on the network via VLAN1.

The monitoring is really to have a warning if the building managment devices cease to work, I assume this is some sort of ping function in IMC which is fine as it has worked for us on VLAN1.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

The specific VLAN you use doesn't matter. What matters is whether you have IP reachability between your IMC server and those devices.

Will you be able to ping those device IPs from your IMC server? Or are they going to be on a totally isolated subnet?

Can you route from your IMC server to the new addresses?

If they are going to be totally isolated, then IMC won't be able to monitor them. But presumably you will have some connectivity in place so you can login to those devices and make configuration changes? Or are you going to have to go to some dedicated terminal to do that?

akg7
HPE Pro

Hi,

If you are moving the device to some other VLAN then obviously the IP address would changed.

I believe there might be no other changes made in the device except VLAN & IP.

You need to redisicover the device with the new IP address and required mandatory changes in SNMP settings.

Once device is rediscovered then I believe you will get the alarms.

Thanks!

I am an HPE Employee

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo