1752617 Members
4510 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

does this product have support on xrmon???

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tomsog
Occasional Contributor

does this product have support on xrmon???

hi,
In the past I used pcm2.3 which was supported xrmon and in sflow, (For network analysis)
Today I use pcm version 4 which has support only sflow, Unfortunately ... (why?)
I have an old switches, have no support in sflow, only xrmon so I can not examine the network analysis in pcm4.
So I think to install the product IMC 7, does this product have support on xrmon???
Thanks for any help,

Tomer.

3 REPLIES 3
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: does this product have support on xrmon???

I've gone through the docs, and I can't find any references to XRMON, so it looks like it's not supported. Just NetFlow, sFlow, and NTA probes (custom solution for virtualised environments).

It doesn't look like XRMON got wider industry traction, although I can't find any official HP docs about dropping support.

Those devices must be pretty old if they only support XRMON, and not sFlow/Netflow? Maybe this is the push you need to get those devices upgraded?

Or look to see if you can get the same information from a different point in your network?

Tomsog
Occasional Contributor

thank you LindsayHill for your response,
i decided not to install imc because of that,
what do you mean by "see if you can get the same information from a different point in your network"?

tomer.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@Tomsog wrote:
thank you LindsayHill for your response,
i decided not to install imc because of that,
what do you mean by "see if you can get the same information from a different point in your network"?

tomer.

If xrmon is important to you, then that's the right decision - IMC is not the right tool.

But you need to decide just how important xrmon is. It looks like the protocol never really caught on, and very few tools support it. So if you want to keep using it, you are severely limiting your options for choosing an NMS. It's only going to get harder in future too.

That's partly why I suggested trying to collect the data from another point in the network - e.g. NetFlow from a vSwitch, sFlow from an upstream switch, etc. I don't know what your network looks like, but most networks have multiple possible collection points.