1748263 Members
3472 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hh3cLogInAuthenFailureReason

Warkscol_Infra
Occasional Contributor

hh3cLogInAuthenFailureReason

As above:- I have switch that it continually generates a trap regarding authentication failure. When I look into the trap further I see the following issues within the trap details screen.

Parameter Name                                               Parameter Value  

hh3cTerminalSource                                                       VTY 

hh3cTerminalUserAuthFailureReason                       3

It doesn't take alot of guessing to see that it is an authentication issue with a user (or more likely a device) trying to access the switch via VTY connection. My issue however is that I cannot find any information on this forum or anywhere else as to what the "REASON" for the failure is other than the number 3...

Can anyone shed any light on this?

This comes off the back of looking to the error ' Device receives an snmp message with an erroneous community string' - once again debugging the switches points to no source to generate the failed authentication...

2 REPLIES 2
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Have you tried searching the switch log for entries regarding to vty3? Logon attempts should be logged there, including the source IP address if this is a telnet or ssh login.

Warkscol_Infra
Occasional Contributor

I have looked in the logs now and it appears that the Telnet connection is coming from the IP address of the server that iMC is hosted on...it seems to be attempting to make a connection every 3-5 seconds...sometimes these are succesful and at other times they are not.