5506 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

hp imc real-time location not working after patch to E0705P04

WatsonLin
Occasional Contributor

hp imc real-time location not working after patch to E0705P04

Hi,

I patched imc from E0705P02 to P04, the real-time location fuction not working.  It can't locate ip now. Can any one help me?

Watson LIn

19 REPLIES 19
jguse
HPE Pro

Re: hp imc real-time location not working after patch to E0705P04

Hello,

What vendor and model of device is your router for the VLAN on which you are scanning for the IP? Check if the router has an ARP entry for the IP address you are searching for.

For RTLS IP scans, iMC first needs to resolve the IP to a MAC address, using SNMP ipNetToMediaPhysAddress from the IP-MIB. If only IP scan isn't working, then it is likely related to this part of the process and not getting an appropriate response from the router with the MAC bound to that IP. Try scanning for an IP address that is definitely in the ARP table, and see if that works?

Under System Settings > Layer 2 Topology Configuration, iMC also has two settings called DismanPing and Forged Ping Packets that allow it to help keep the ARP tables populated. You could check if those are enabled.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
IvoVelikov
HPE Pro

Hello Watson LIn,

this issue should have been solved in version 7.3 E0705. However we recently had an issue with customer that couldn't locate his devices due to the fact that iMC didn't have all ARP entries for the end devices. It turned out that the core device that has all ARP entries wasn't managed by iMC, as iMC get the ARP-information via SNMP the only way for iMC to locate a device in the network was blocked. Is that the situation at your site? Or the RTLS has been functioning for a while and now it stopped with no changes made on the network?

Thanks,

Regards,

Ivo

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

I had the same issue after upgrade to p04. I rolled back to p02 and all good  with real time locations. Nothing changed in configuration, which devices were managed etc.

Ran with p04 for acouple of days but still no RTL

WatsonLin
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

How can I roll back to p02? Just patch again using p02 file?

WatsonLin
Occasional Contributor

I use iReasoning mib browser to find out the arp entry from my router (cisco 9300). Mib browser did return the ip data I want to locate. 

WatsonLin
Occasional Contributor

Cisco 9300 and Juniper 4200 are  used as router in my network. When I restart IMC service, it can locate the ip, but may be 10 minutes later, it failed to locate ip.

WatsonLin
Occasional Contributor

Wireshark shown that IMC did not query router to get ip infomation. May be IMC did not know the router ip of the ip I want to locate?

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

You might be able to undeploy and then delete those. There may be data related to the patch that might be affected.

But as my imc installation is VMware based, I always snapshot the whole vm and keep it until I'm sure the next patch is good. That means a couple of things though:

• Rollback means you will loose the data acquired during the interval running on the new version
  • You need to test as much as possible to find these issues out before your data loss is an issue, so have a checklist of vital functions to test

I also run a second server in Standby mode and sync the data nighlty using the backup/restore feature. This does not cost extra from HP (OS license is extra). The standby will perform most functions including user authentication if the primary is down. You are limited in adding or editing features.

IvoVelikov
HPE Pro

It turned out that some customers having a third party switches/routers in the core are having issues with the new version, please open a case at HPE in order to investigate the issue!

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo