1747992 Members
5418 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

iMC 5.2 Upgrade and DB Connectivity

cclarkehw
Occasional Visitor

iMC 5.2 Upgrade and DB Connectivity

I'm trying to upgrade my 5.1 sp1 install to 5.2 but I'm unable to connect to the database server.  After reading through the release notes, I see that 5.2 introduces "ForcedEncryption" to the remote db server.  Since my DB server hosts several other instances and DBs, I can't change any connection settings on it.  I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this and has found a way to install 5.2 without having to use ForcedEncryption.

2 REPLIES 2
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: iMC 5.2 Upgrade and DB Connectivity

My reading of that is that IMC can now connect to a DB that has the "ForcedEncryption" flag set. However, this does not mean that it will ONLY connect to a DB when it can use Encryption. I think it more means that it can, not that it requires it.

If the DB has "ForcedEncryption" turned on, then it requires all clients to connect using encryption. If it does not have that flag set, then clients do not need to use encryption.

I think you've got other issues going on, particularly if you're using a shared DB. This can be slightly problematic, as IMC makes certain assumptions about the database. Issues I've seen include:

* IMC needs full SA privileges when installing or applying updates. Often companies will grant full SA access during install time, then drop it back down later. But you need to raise those privileges again when you apply an update.

* model DB sizes - some of the DBs that IMC sets up have a small default size. If that's smaller than your model DB, it will fail. You need to drop the model DB size down, run the install, then you can change the model back.

At what point is it failing, and what sort of logs are you seeing on the IMC side, and on the DB side?

cclarkehw
Occasional Visitor

Re: iMC 5.2 Upgrade and DB Connectivity

Thanks for the info, northlandboy.  I'll talk with my DBA tomorrow and run your suggestions past him, although I'm certain the SA thing is a non-issue.

Edit: It's failing with the connection dialog where you I specify server name, password, etc.