New Discussion

iMC add Device

SOLVED
Go to solution
IUKL
Frequent Visitor

iMC add Device

I'm new in iMC and got a Trial Version.

Now i add a Device. It is an 5412zl / J8698A with Software K.15.15.0014.

After adding, the Device is shown as Device-Type "Desktop". No Ports, vlan etc.

Can anyone give me a hint. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: iMC add Device

Hello,

Devices discovered as Desktop in IMC probably haven't been able to have a proper SNMP conversation between the IMC server and the device.

On the switch - Check your community strings if you are v2 and your authentication string and v3 group name if you are indeed using the recommended v3 "secure" version that at least uses a bit of crypto.

On IMC server - check that the SNMP settings - either individual auth strings or part of a profile (I think they call it a template for SNMP settings) - match what is on the switch.

Just keep doing re-sync / rrefresh once you have checked & fixed the credentials and you'll know when it is right as the model of the device will suddenly change to the correct details.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
IUKL
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Thank's a lot.

I have to shut down the personal firewall too.

I later check the ports for iMC and Snmp.

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,

You don't need to turn the firewall off - just poke some holes through it - this should help, hopefully it is still up to date:

Firewall ports for IMC server traffic (inbound)

TCP8443 (iMC web service – secured traffic),

UDP161-162 (SNMP & SNMP trap),

UDP514-515 (Syslog)

UDP6343, UDP9020-9021 (sFlow & Netflow ports),

TCP22 (SSH & SFTP)*,

TCP20-21 (FTP)**

UDP69 (TFTP) **

IMC server to remote database instance:

TCP1433 – (MS SQL server listening port)

IMC Server to managed node traffic:

ICMP – used to discover & perform reachability tests on managed nodes,

UDP161-162 (SNMP & SNMP trap),

UDP6343, UDP9020-9021 (sFlow & Netflow ports),

TCP22 (SSH & SFTP)*,

TCP23 (Telnet)***

(*) I often put an ssh server on the iMC Server but it is not mandatory and iMC will function fine as an ssh/ sftp client. Cygwin is a free POSIX linux-like environment for Windows and is very feature rich.

If you use iMC as just a client you will need to enable the appropriate “server” (ssh/sftp) function on the managed switch node. You will need FTP server to backup MSM wireless controllers.

(**) Tftp or FTP server can be used to demonstrate the configuration file / software library backup and restore but we would recommend secure sftp/scp in Production. MSM controllers are currently backed up using the embedded FTP client on the controller therefore to interoperate with these devices an FTP server needs to be installed on the iMC Server image.

(***) Telnet is an option but we would not recommend it as we prefer SSH to ensure admin credentials are not sent in plaintext across the network

Additional ports may be required if further service modules are added to the installation.

Gimme a thumbs up if that works for you :-)

Cheers

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me