108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: iMC forwards alarm to a different NMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
andy97
Occasional Visitor

iMC forwards alarm to a different NMS

IMC admin guide has a feature of "Alarm Forwarding to a different NMS".  The admin guide has the following:

"You can configure IMC to forward alarm notifications other management systems including help You can configure IMC to forward alarm notifications other management systems

4. Enter the IP address of the destination management system for this rule in the Destination IP Address field.
5. Enter the destination port number for the management system for this rule in the Port field"

Has anyone used this feature? Does the alarm forwarding use SNMPv3? It is a documented feature but I could not find online that any one has used this feature.  My targeted NMS is either SolarWind or any main stream NMS that supports SNMPv3, ICMP, Syslog.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

I've done it. It works as expected. It used to be harder to find the MIBS they used, but I think they ship them with IMC now. 

It uses either SNMPv1 or v2 (sorry I can't remember which, and I don't have access to that system anymore). Definitely not v3.

andy97
Occasional Visitor

Thanks a lot!  Appreciate your prompt response.  What was the name of the NMS you used before?  Did you do any configurations on the NMS side to enable the NMS-iMC communication?

Also, was the Alarm message received at NMS readable?

Thanks!

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor
Solution

The events are forwarded as SNMP traps. Specific configuration on the NMS side will depend on the NMS, and how it handles forwarded traps. 

The traps contain the event description, so they're easy enough to figure out. It will be a little easier now that you can get the IMC MIBs.

andy97
Occasional Visitor

Thanks!  It's very helpful!

Tuomo82
Occasional Collector

Where can i download the IMC MIBs for sending traps to 3rd party NMS?

Javier-HPE
Visitor

Hi everyone, 

Where i can download the IMC MIBs?

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Look in the iMC installation files. In the Linux install file, there's a folder "linux/tools". In there is a file named "iMC_MIB_Download_Linux.zip". Extract that and follow the instructions.

Presumably will be something similar for Windows, if you are using that.