1751741 Members
5797 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

iMC installation fail with "Host name "null" contains one or more nonstandard characters"

SOLVED
Go to solution
AltF4
Visitor

iMC installation fail with "Host name "null" contains one or more nonstandard characters"

Hi guys,

after starting sh ./install.sh got a strange error-message: "invalid host name: Host name "null" contains one or more nonstandard characters"

Was also changing the hostname in "imc01", "imcvm" and at least "wtf" with the same result...

All suggestions are welcome. ;)

Some facts about the system:

RHEL 6.3 64bit

32bit versions of glibc, libaio, libgcc and libstdc++ are installed

The database is MySQL 5.5

hostname: ber-imc01vm

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: iMC installation fail with "Host name "null" contains one or more nonstandard cha

I'm not sure if this is the problem or not, but it might be a name resolution issue. Check that your hostname is in your local hosts file.

AltF4
Visitor

Re: iMC installation fail with "Host name "null" contains one or more nonstandard cha

that was one of my first tasks...

/etc/hosts entry was modified

:(

AltF4
Visitor
Solution

Finally solved! ^^

the reason was:

first we installed the RHEL-infra without X and was deploying the X environment with some unsolved dependences.

So I decided to reinstall the OS with the Desktop-Option and it works.

Thanks.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Ok, I would not have guessed that, based on the error!

Thanks for posting back here with the resolution. 

dspears

I also ran into this error message on a server in my lab.  I was able to resolve it by adding the hostname in the /etc/hosts file for the dhcp address.   I would not recommend that for a production install.  The root of this message appears to be a DHCP/DNS issue.