1753359 Members
5197 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: snmp not working when updating

goldwine
Occasional Advisor

snmp not working when updating

I have upgraded a J9091A ProCurve Switch 8212zl, revision K.14.60, ROM K.12.21, to version K.15.14.0007
Now, I can not configure SNMP on IMC.
the old configuration does not work. I have reconfigured the snmpv3 community and SNMPv2c community but without any result.

I tried to activate:

Startup Config change               : Enabled
  Running Config Change             : Enabled
  MAC address table changes     : Enabled
  MAC Address Count                     : Enabled

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks!!

11 REPLIES 11
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

What's the problem - is it that SNMP polling isn't working, or traps aren't working? It's not quite clear from your description.
goldwine
Occasional Advisor

IMC does not recognize version and the switch does not send traps.

IMC recognizes it as ICMP not as device model

I try to configure my switch with SNMPv3 SNMPv2C and does not work.
It can not be because of communication problem, before the upgrade everything worked properly.

thank you for all!

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

OK, let's go through it piece by piece.

Ignore SNMP traps for now - get polling working first.

If IMC is showing the device as ICMP, then you must have removed it from IMC, yes? And then tried to re-add it?

But anyway, are you trying to configure SNMPv2 or v3? You've referred to both there - what are the exact configuration lines on your switch, and what settings do you have in IMC for that device?

goldwine
Occasional Advisor

yes, I deleted the device in IMC and have added back again. If i do not delete the switch in IMC continues to show old information.

Switch config in SNMPv2c

snmp-server community "snmpreadonly" operator
snmp-server host 10.10.97.93 community "snmpreadonly" trap-level all
snmp-server trap-source 10.10.97.2

IMC only allows you to configure the snmp version and communities, this should not be a problem. I have set many switches, I have only one problem with this version

thanks

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

If IMC is sending snmp requests with the right community, and the switch is not responding, then I think you'll need to log a support case with HP about it - it's not an IMC issue.

I have seen an issue with Procurve switches where ~ gets added to the SNMP configuration, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
goldwine
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

This problem seems solved in k.15.15.0006 version.

Fixlist: SNMP (CR_0000143599) - The switch does not allow users to configure RMON alarms via SNMP. This issue was
Introduced with CR_0000112411.

I had not time to try.

regards

Pack3tL0ss
Valued Contributor

I just looked at K.15.14.0007 running on a 5405 and an 8206, and both respond to SNMP and send traps.

If they are showing up as ICMP the things to check are:

Device details page in IMC -->configure menu on right --> modify SNMP settings "test".  If you are on an older release prior to the addition of the test button (or even if you are on a newer release) you can use the resource-->batch operations-->check access settings function to test IMCs ability to access the device with the configured SNMP settings.

If it can't then check the config on the switch/community strings, although obviously an upgrade shouldn't cause a change there.  If you have any "IP Authorized-manager" statements in the switch, then management access control is enabled, in which case you would need to ensure that the IP for IMC or the subnet is included in one of the IP authorized-manager statements.

You can also check the log in the switch to see if you get any clues there.  do a "synchronize" in IMC which should trigger a poll, then "show log -r" on the 8200 and look for any clues such as "invalid community string, or unauthorized...."  If all else fails wire-shark on the IMC server with an ip and SNMP filter so you are just looking at SNMP communication with the 8200 may also help provide clues as to what is going on.

Either way, I have K.15.14.0007 running against IMC and am not seeing the issue.

Capture.JPG

Good Luck,

PL

goldwine
Occasional Advisor

what version HP IMC are you using ?

Pack3tL0ss
Valued Contributor

In my case it's the most current (just posted) 7.1 e0302.  What version are you running?  I have systems on older revs as well I can test with.

PL