IP Telephony - NBX
1753458 Members
4921 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

3102 Phones won't connect to V3000 NBX - keeps trying layer 3 discovery rather than layer 2

SOLVED
Go to solution
cbestal

3102 Phones won't connect to V3000 NBX - keeps trying layer 3 discovery rather than layer 2

We purchased a few used 3102b business phones to connect to our V3000 NBX.  One of the phones worked right away after being plugged into our network.  The others won't.  They immediately say "Requesting IP Address..." then "Wating for DHCP Server...Layer 3 Discovery", then "Discovery Failure No NCP IP Available".

Our NBX is setup as Ethernet Only, so I think the phones need to try to communicate over Layer 2, but cant figure out how to make that happen.

Are the phones bad or is this a configuration issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
cbestal
Solution

Re: 3102 Phones won't connect to V3000 NBX - keeps trying layer 3 discovery rather than layer 2

I figured it out....I had to manually enter the IP of the NBX and then the phones downloaded the latest firmware from the NBX a few times and got an extenstion.  

The NBX IP was 255.255.255.255 but I guess it could not find it on the network.  So manually entering it fixed it.

merlin215
Valued Contributor

Re: 3102 Phones won't connect to V3000 NBX - keeps trying layer 3 discovery rather than layer 2

Nice job .... It sounds like your used telephones had info kept from the previous owners . FYI , next time you install a used tel you may want to try and use the settings in the program menu to default the telephone to its factory settings . This clears out all previous programming and allows the telephone to rediscover without having to worry about adding or removing ip info .