1747988 Members
5034 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ATA issues with 6_5_22

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

the message "Resending version request" coming from the ATA means that that ATA cannot communicate with the NBX. When ATA boots up, it sends Version request to the NBX and the NBX responds with the version it has. However, the ATA is not hearing from the NBX for some reason. check your network and see why the packet is not getting through.
merlin215
Valued Contributor

Thats what the trace will show us , that the NBX is not downloading to the tel . Possilbe issues :

Vlans ?

Where did the ATA come form - Prvious system , maybe something programmed inside the ATA ?

What type of switch port ? 

Access to any vlan that the NBX is on ? 

Sabbah
Occasional Advisor

The ATA switch port type is Access (vs. trunk). Switch port is on the same voice vlan as all other phones (except that phones are connected to trunk ports, while the ATA is connected to access port). To make sure old configuration is not causing problems, I have used console to apply "nbxEEpromClear" (Is this enough to clear residual configuration?). Also, I have tried connecting the ata to a network port which was already connected to a working phone, but with same result. Strange also to note, is that when I configure IP address, subnet mask and gateway from NBX, the configuration successfully applies to the ATA which automatically restarts at such event! That is why I doubt it is communication problem, since NBX can apply configuration to the ATA, and for some while you can see the status of ATA on the NBX as "Online", but with no dial-tone. Finally same procedure was applied to quantity= 3 of ATA, with same results.

What would be the best procedure to start the process all over? Should I connect the ATA to a trunk port, then configure it with VLAN manually (vcxSetVLANConfig "0124")? Our voice VLAN is 124 (could it be that I am using the commands with wrong syntax of parameters?, ATA is 10400B). Doesn't the ATA and phone use the same communications packets upon startup? I feel if I plug the ATA directly to a network port where a working phone is connected, results should be the same?

I appreciate your guidance on this.

Sabbah
Occasional Advisor

Today I have taken a 3Com 4500 switch to the customer site, configured it with equivalent configuration to that of the customer's cisco switch (Catalyst 3560), and then connected the NBX and ATAs to this 3Com switch, and all ATA could download the software and got dial tone :smileyhappy:. I have re-connected the NBX and the ATAs back to the cisco switch, and they are working fine. I guess the cisco switch has some strange behavior that blocked the download service.

If anybody has any stock of ATA 3C10400B, please contact me (send me private message).

merlin215
Valued Contributor

Open a case . We would need to see a trace and logs . It seems that the ATA is not attaching to the NBX for some strange reason . If its layer 2 , then an arp should be recieved by the NBX and it should auto discover . Something else is going on here ....