1753873 Members
7530 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Button mappings change on phone switch?

TracyWhite
Occasional Contributor

Button mappings change on phone switch?

I'm not sure why I hadn't noticed this before and am wondering if it's a "feature" that creeped in at some point.

We had a client complain that line/extension button mappings were coming up blank; I did some testing and determined that swapping phones for a user would cause their extension to disappear from a telephone group button mapping in both 6_0_X and 6_5_X revs. At first I thought that it was happening if the administrator was unassociating a phone from an extension, saving, and then later coming back and associating a new phone to it, but it also happens if you change directly from one phone to another with no lack of phone in between.

This would seem to be an administrative headache, if administratoirs would need to go through phone group and attendant console mappings to re-add extensions every time a phone was swapped out, and I don't remember this popping up before.

Can anyone else confirm this happens to them? I know there won't be any change to the system to fix it, but I'm surprised I'd never noticed this before.

4 REPLIES 4
Justin_Goldberg
Valued Contributor

Re: Button mappings change on phone switch?

Button mappings are associated with the telephone group that the extension is in, afaik. If they changed their button mappings to be different from the group, then maybe that's why?

I'm learning NBX, that's why I added the afaik. :-)

nutrie
Advisor

Button Mappings are configured with the device (telephone). Users are configured as extentions and Voicemail. Devices are associated to Users. Blow away the device you lose the button mapping config. Use Groups to build default configs but ultimately you need to reprogram any unique button mappings per device.
TracyWhite
Occasional Contributor

@nutrie wrote:
Button Mappings are configured with the device (telephone). Users are configured as extentions and Voicemail. Devices are associated to Users. Blow away the device you lose the button mapping config.

Perhaps, but the button mapping is to "line/extension" and not device. If the underlying code is associating it to a hardware address I could see it happening if that device slips into a state where there's no extension associated with it, or if the system takes the short period of time that the extension doesn't have a device associated with it as a reason to break the button mapping (same way you can't do call forwarding from an extension without a device assoicated with it). It just seemed like a weakness that would have been fixed and something I didn't remember from the past.

wsbcs01
Occasional Advisor

To add to nutrie's comment:

Button mappings are associated with the phone based on the MAC address of the phone. You can minimize programming by creating phone groups and mappings per phone group. This has always been a problem and most likely will never be fixed