108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to change a telephone Ext number

meldrum
Occasional Advisor

How to change a telephone Ext number

Fact: NBX 100

Fact: Ver R4_1_77

New to NBX. Added phones to NBX, but now I need to go back and change the Ext number for some of the phones. Can't find it in book or search of forum. It seems every phone added goes to a new higher extension. I want to back fill holes where I have removed devices.

5 REPLIES 5
bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

Re: How to change a telephone Ext number

hi. 4.1.77 is an old version that has a different Netset look than the current versions. .but go to your dialplan tab, then configure.. look for "Modify Extensions".

click on the extension you want to modify, then at the bottom put in the new extension number...

meldrum
Occasional Advisor

I know this is an old version, but we are a non profit and can't afford the latest lic.

I tried going to the Dial Plan and Modify Extensions, but it looks like it only changes the extension of the person, not the phone. The only way I have found to change a phone's extension is to purge the database and start adding phones from scratch. Very labor intensive. My problem is that we are replacing a very old system and people want to keep their ext numbers. But if I make a mistake adding a phone, the extension number is burned up and can't be used again.

bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

hi .. I just tried it on a system I have and it does

change the phone number also.. you may have to

take the phone offhook/onhook

I did Dialplan/Operations/Modify Extensions.

Highlight the extension I want to change, then put the number in below.

I notice that the phone extension number on the LCD of the phone did not change until I went offhook/onhook. Try that ...

merlin_1
Super Advisor

Also remember that you cannot assign the extension number to a device twice . If it is used by another tel , you must remove it first from the other device .

This message was edited by merlin on 11-6-09 @ 7:54 AM
meldrum
Occasional Advisor

Aha, it was a combination of two things;

1. Yes the number doesn't change until the phone goes off hook and back.

2. I had already added people with a hopeful extension. The phone won't change to that extension, until you either remove the person or assign them a temporary extension out of the way of where you want to ultimately go.

Thank you. I'll figure this stuff out eventually.