cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBX 100 Random Call Drops

ysuluhan
Frequent Visitor

NBX 100 Random Call Drops

I' m consulting an SMB with an NBX 100 PBX system. The system uses an E1 Digital Line Card to connect to TelCo.

The company is having random call drops sometimes within seconds when an outbound call connects through the system. And when this happens all active calls drop within the network.

This is the first time I' m faced with an NBX 100 system. So, any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance....

8 REPLIES
bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

Re: NBX 100 Random Call Drops

What version of code are you running? the latest for the NBX is 6.0.63

also, when you say "all active calls drop", do you mean internal calls (calls from extension 100 to x101) or just calls on the E1 card??

A couple of quick things you can do:

1. attach console to NBX, when issue occurs, do an "i" command.. is anything suspended..

2. attach console to the PRI card, when issue occurs, do you see anything, like the telco running maintenance or bouncing the line?

ysuluhan
Frequent Visitor

I mean all active calls. Internal, external... Everything.

The system is running on a v5.0.31. It has two E1 digital line cards one them left for reserve.

When I tried using the console to find out the possible suspended processes yesterday, whole system had gone down as soon as I attached the cable to the console port of the active E1 card. When it happened, I couldn' t connect to neither web admin interface nor the console.

After it recovered, we switched to reserve E1 card and but this time I couldn' t even get a prompt at the console.

On another point , the system has no UPS whatsoever and even shares the AC line with a bunch of other equipment.

merlin215
Valued Contributor

Put a hyperterminal on the T1/E1  board . 

Watch when the span goes down to see if there are any messages on the hyperterminal at that time 

It sounds like the span is " bouncing " , A telco term meaning that the span is recieving a lot of errors in a certain period of time , and when the threshold is met , the span resets and dumps all calls . 

Open a case with support and let them know what messages are showing .

Interesting that you say everything , 

When I tried using the console to find out the possible suspended processes yesterday, whole system had gone down as soon as I attached the cable to the console port of the active E1 card. When it happened, I couldn' t connect to neither web admin interface nor the console.

Did you plug the cable into the NBX or just the E1 Card ? 

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

If internal calls (calls from one extension to another) are dropping, then it is more than an E1 problem..Once the internal call is setup, the NBX is out of the picture.. audio flows from phone to phone.... so those calls cannot drop if something happens to the NBX... what happens, the call cannot be torn down when the user hangs up since the NBX would be out of the picture...... if something happening with ongoing internal calls (like no audio), then this becomes a network issue.

...Please find out if ongoing internal calls are really disconnected... or is it that a user cannot make a new internal call... because no dialtone...

Also, if internal calls are effected, you should attach the console to the NBX, not the E1 card.. do an "i" command.. are any tasks suspended???

ysuluhan
Frequent Visitor

@merlin215

I tried putting a hyperterminal to E1 card and the system gone down for almost an hour.  I didn' t try the NBX console port after that. The company loses customers when something like that happens even in the late hours at night.

There is no HP Support about this product in my country. I have started handling the problem after hearing their lack of support. 

@bosoxfan

Yes. I'm sure the internal calls are also disconnected when the problem occurs. The company network is a poorly constructed one.

I' ll try to schedule the NBX check for tonight.  If it checks out, I' ll schedule to connect the NBX to another switch.

Thank you both for your answers.

merlin215
Valued Contributor

Good deal . Keep Us posted as we are on US East Coast time and will not be around over the weekend . 

ysuluhan
Frequent Visitor

They decided to replace PBX system...

By the way , if u don't mind me asking, if there are two different E1 cards in an nbx 100 system, there has to be two different E1 lines, right?

I mean call processor or other hardware could not enable one card to use the other ones line somehow, right?

merlin215
Valued Contributor

I am not an E1 expert as I did nto knwo there were 2 cards either . I know for many years , the 3C10165 card was the traditional E1 card . Not sure where the other one came form . I will ask around and try and find out ...