1753830 Members
8851 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

NBX, SIP and VLANS

Bortiquai
Occasional Contributor

NBX, SIP and VLANS

Using a 3COM NBX version 6.5 running in SIP Mode.

Using 3COM 310x Phones, and 3COM PCXSET Soft Phones.

Using 3COM 4500G PWR Switches, with OS Ver. 5.02.00s168p02, BootRom 501. The switches are NOT stacked or clustered

I have 5 VLANs, and 5 Subnets. Some of the Ports are tagged, some are not. Some ports are a member of multiple VLANs, some are not.

I do not understand how I can have all of the Phones/SoftPhones connect to the NBX, regardless of what VLAN/Subnet they reside on.

Any assistance is very appreciated.

-Matt
1 REPLY 1
mohamed.sabbah
Frequent Advisor

Re: NBX, SIP and VLANS

I will try to describe a scenario which I hope is close to yours! You have 5x VLANs/Subnets (I will assume these are data related VLANs), then consider that the sixth VLAN/Subnet is the Voice. Now on your switches, you have to configure all ports connected to phones as Hybrid (or Trunk), make the Voice VLAN a tagged member on that port, make the needed Data VLAN (to which PC connected to the phone will have access)as untagged member of that port. Make this Data VLAN the port's default VLAN (pvid). On ports connected to the NBX (or any expansion chassis) configure it with Link-type Access and make the VLAN= Voice VLAN. Now manually you have to configure all phones as VLAN=Enabled, and tagged with the Voice VLAN (Attendant Console needs console connection to configure by means of Hyper Terminal). That establishes your Layer-2 network. After that you have to do all IP configuration on you PCs, Servers, Gateways, NBX, etc.

Otherwise, if there is a need that the IP phone will reside on different VLAN than the planned Voice VLAN, then you have to manually configure that phone with IP from the new VLAN, Default Gateway of that VLAN, and with the IP of the NBX system. The gateway should have a route back towards the NBX system for successful communication path!

This message was edited by mohamed.sabbah on 7-26-09 @ 5:39 AM