5291 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

NBX V3000 device Discovery issues

rderesendes
Occasional Visitor

NBX V3000 device Discovery issues

We have a NBX v3000, we have had it for awhile with very few issues

However I can no longer register a phone to the system.

With Auto Discover turned on, the phone proceed through the boot up process normally, I see the NBX's MAC on the screen, it reboots, and shows the phones MAC and stays there.

If I go to the webui and try to manually add the MAC, i get an error that the mac is either

1) Invalid Mac Address

2) MAC addresss in use

(both are verified to be false)

looking in the logs i see the following

0110:165215 DBI            E Failed during terminal auto-discover attempt: 00:e0:bb:02:b0:44 (0)                                                     
0110:165215 DBI            E Failed during terminal auto-discover attempt: 00:e0:bb:02:af:d8 (0)                                                     
0110:165216 DBI            E Failed during terminal auto-discover attempt: 00:e0:bb:02:b0:54 (0)                                                     
0110:165216 DBI            E Failed during terminal auto-discover attempt: 00:e0:bb:02:af:e5 (0)                                                     
0110:165217 DBI            E Failed during terminal auto-discover attempt: 00:e0:bb:02:b0:44 (0)                                                     
0110:165217 DBI            E Failed during terminal auto-discover attempt: 00:e0:bb:02:af:d8 (0)                                                     
0110:165217 DBI            E Failed during terminal auto-discover attempt: 00:e0:bb:02:b0:54 (0)                                                     
0110:165217 DBI            E Failed during terminal auto-discover attempt: 00:e0:bb:02:af:e5 (0)                                                     
0110:165217 DBI            E Failed during terminal auto-discover attempt: 00:e0:bb:02:b0:44 (0)                                                     
0110:165217 DBI            E Failed during terminal auto-discover attempt: 00:e0:bb:02:af:d8 (0)                                                     

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

Re: NBX V3000 device Discovery issues

What version of software are you running on your NBX?

also, what kind of phone is it? I am thinking that maybe the phone is not supported on your older version

of software on the NBX.

Another thing.. check your phone licenses. .are they all used up??/

Is phone being discovered on the same subnet as NBX???? make sure only 1 NBX on a subnet since the phones will not discover if 2 nbx'es since both would be answering the "discovery" broadcast... unless you hard code the MAC address of the NBX into the phone ..

another item.. have these phones ever been on a VCX system? when phones have been on VCX system, then you need to put your NBX in a mode other than "ethernet" and then the phones would download.

just some ideas here...

rderesendes
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your reply

We are running V4.1.66

we are using 418 or our 750 licenses

we are using a 3Com NBX Business Phone, don't have the model number with me, but they are the older 10 MB versions.These phone were attached to an older NBX 100 (we upgraded the NBX100 to mitel and using the leftover phones for the NBX 3000).

Whats odd, If i removed a pre-existing phone, it will never re-detect. But if the phone is already added to the database it will boot fine. And I can not add the MAC address (even though the phone WAS in the database)

I have not tried hard coding the MAC address of the NBX to the phone, i will give that a shot.

We switched from a Layer2 network to Layer3 about 6 months ago. But we never had an issue until recently, but to be honest not sure if we added any new phones to the system in that time.

I did try to put a phone on the same vlan on the same switch to see if that worked, but that was a no go as well (figured that would boot into Layer2 first).

My thoughts could be a corrupted database, allowing reads but not writes.Actually my first thought was the users filled up the disk drive with unread voice mail, but there was plenty of space left.Are there any database maintenance tasks i could run to verify the database is ok?

The phones were are the NBX 100, not sure if that was VCX was soo long ago. However the current NBX is on setup as IP-on-the-fly. (which i believe did both Ethernet and IP) I could attempt to switch it back to ethernet to see if the phone detect that way.

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

One thing I forgot, the most obvious, is Auto Discovery of phones turned on??

This is under system wide settings.

check the licensing.. make sure you have room to add another phone.. although, if they are the older

10mb phones, then they do not require a separate license.

I don't think it is the DB, but you never know.

if you wish, you can try the following:

1. backup the db for future use

2. now delete the db.. i think it is called purge database.

3. now enable auto discovery under system wide settings.

See if the phones discover now.

rderesendes
Occasional Visitor

haha yea Auto discover is the obvious choice. I verified that it was turned on 20 times. If only it was that simple :)

However... I have solved the issue

one of my first thoughts was i hit a user limit. So i deleted some very old extensions. but the problem presisted.

We added an expansion about a year ago. and moved the extensions to start at 3450. there were about 30 rooms added, we had no issues.

When i was looking today, the last extension added was 3499. I know that phone was broken so i deleted the externsion. as soon as i deleted that extension, another one of our test phone registered to the phone system

Looks like the NBX can not auto discover/add phones higher than extension 3500 (I verified that extension was not in use else where).

Took a look  dial plan settings, and the highest extension was set to 3500, changed it to 3699 and voila, every new phone booted and registered!!

Thanks so much for the help