4275 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NBX V3000 with Memory Problems

Rockym
Advisor

NBX V3000 with Memory Problems

Hello,

Recently one of our V3000s started losing Memory and after 7 days it reaches that magical 4000k mark and the voicmail stops working and so does the web interface. I have to hard reset it just to get back up.

Nothing changed just prior to the problem starting. We are currently running R6_0_63.

Do you have any suggestions?

This message was edited by Rockym on 2-4-09 @ 12:59 PM
10 REPLIES 10
Luckycharms
Frequent Advisor

Unless its some kind of network attack or network virus eating up memory on the NBX you should call Call tech support.

They will probably need to do some tracing on the NBX. Memory is contstantly going up and down so they will need to try an identify which internal process is not releasing all memory back over a period of time.

merlin_1
Super Advisor

How many tels?

Hunt groups ?

ACD groups ?

Not sure of any known issues on R6.0.63 for memory leaks .

Where do you see the memory losing ?

You should do a memShow from hyperterm then approx . 45 to 60 seconds later perform another one . Then look to see if the memory is going up or down after about 5 to 10 of these commands maybe 5 minutes or so . If the memory does not go back then you may have an issue . If memory rises and falls , then that is normal .

This message was edited by merlin on 2-4-09 @ 3:45 PM
bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

how much memory do you have ? Do you have the additional memory installed?

Now I know that 3com states that you don't need the additional memory unless you are over 250 users or over 12 vm mailboxes or need vtl's...

..however, there are other things to take into consideration.. how many devices? how many hunt groups? are any calling groups? how many button mappings? any tapi applications?

Bottom line, save yourself some headaches, get the extra memory. .... It is cheap enough !!!!

Just my 2 cents........

Rockym
Advisor

121 Group 2 telephones (3102├втВмтДвs).

29 1102 telephones, 1 wireless phone, 6 ATA├втВмтДвs.

Hunt Groups = 5

ACD Groups = 0

Rockym
Advisor

No memory upgrade.

Could additional memory clear this up?

bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

I count 157 devices... that does not include your gateways (PRI lines, analog lines) or any TAPI applications, etc.. so it is a large database.

I am betting if you add the extra memory the issue will go away...

btw, I see you listed a wireless phone???? what kind of wireless phone?? you running SIP?? you can't run that without the extra memory..

Rockym
Advisor

Sorry,I meant a cordless phone.

We are not using SIP.

I will add the memory and see how that goes.

Thanks,

Rocky

This message was edited by Rockym on 2-5-09 @ 1:18 PM
xPVT#12

I would be concerned about why the box started to lose memory if it had been running fine prior? You can certainly add memory and that might extend the time to failure but that doesn't assure me that you have solved anything other than created a bigger pool to pull from. I would look at the admin log and see if changes were made to the config that might have introduced an issue that created a memory leak. You should boot the box and see how much memory is free on day 1? After a few days a properly performing system should have a fairly constant amount of free memory (once the users have cranked up their typical apps). It could be that your system is big enough that the RAM is near capacity and as such the box could fail if it is stressed. More likely, there is plenty of memory but over time a process is consuming memory and not releasing it, creating the leak. If this is the case, adding more memory will extend the time between crashes but not eliminate them. I would not want to charge a customer for memory but not fix their issue.

Luckycharms
Frequent Advisor

Assuming it was working without a problem. First step is to see try and ID something that has changed around the time the problem happened. The change may not necessairly be on the NBX but the network or a device on the network.

Regardless, memory issues fall into 2 main buckets.

1 Memory Leak

2 Reached/Exceeded capacity

For #1 It will take real expertise with the NBX and the network to understand and correct the problem. Often once the root cause has been identified it can be defensed against or fixed soemtiemw without even new software i.e. Denial of Service attack. But it may need a code fix which will have to come from 3Com anyway..

If #2 Its simply a matter of the NBX reaching the low tide mark because the its utilization over time has increased to the point that it can't recover memory fast enough to keep up with the demand. Adding Memory is all thats needed. Assuming like most users capacity will continue to increase over time. The benefit of adding memory outways the cost in other ways anyway.

To tackle issue #1 you should bring in expertise from 3Com assuming you have a contract of some kind. They can look under the hood with more detail and precision to see what going on.

Issue #2 is more a judgement call with at least the benefit of self preservation by not getting yelled at so often. It will last longer and delay how frequently you need to perform corrective action i.e. Reboot of NBX