1753836 Members
8552 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NBX25 and PCXSET problem

Luckycharms
Frequent Advisor

Any packet trace utility will work i.e Wireshark. Typically you need 2 or more traces to get a full picture of whats going on. Think of it this way.

You have at least 4 or more possible ports along the connection from home to NBX that is dropping the packets.

NBX------(1)FW(2)--------(3)HomeFW(4)-----PC

Now if the NBX is connected to a switch before its connected to the FW then thats 2 more. If there is a Router between NBX and FW thats that an additional 2.

More than likely these Audio packets are getting dropped by port (3) or not being sent our port (2). Also make sure that your Work FW is not redirecting the packets

Another poissibility is if your are using "IP on the Fly" for the NBX. The ARP cache on the FW maintains previous IP to MAC address association for a device for a previsous call. When a new call is set up, the call control is fine to the NBX NCP but the actual audio is sent to the previous MAC/IP pair intstead of the new one causing 1 way audio

merlin_1
Super Advisor

Bosoxfan's router settings allow me to audiably connect to the office from home.

However, When I try to use an outside line connection through the NBX in the office, no audio. Again the commands are getting through, but not the audio. Tested this on my cell phone.

So if I understand you cna call tel to tel and the audio is fine but when you call using a telco line you get audio issues ?

If so then check your ip on the fly set up and make sure you have ip addresses set up for the boards under the ip tab in neteset ....

mswann60_1
Advisor

let me get this right... you now get two way audio when you call in from pcxset to an nbx phone?

Yes.

however, if you dial from pcxset out your analog line card or pri card, you get no audio??? or is it one way audio???

No audio, tx or rx to the outside telephone. We are using a 3C10114 analog line card.

is pri or analog line card on the same subnet and switch as your nbx?

As far as I can tell it, its all on the same subnet. I will review the administrative settings. Again, when the remote softphone is in system connected to the switch, everything is fine.

maybe it is on a different switch and some of those ports are being blocked??

There is only one switch in the office. A managed gigabit 24 port. If the remote switch needs to be set up, It would not be much help on using open wireless signals or offices of business partners when travelling internationally.

A trace will show if you are getting audio...

might also have to do a trace on the other side of your router to ensure that audio is being sent.

I guess I have to learn how to do traces. I have had a hard time trying to find decent help on this locally.

mswann60_1
Advisor

Update,

Subnet mask: router, switch, server and NBX all set to 255.255.255.0

I updated the NBX system software to 5_0_31. NO improvement. Noted that the system is set at "Ethernet only", not "IP on the fly".

I installed wireshark on remote computer and made a network scan from home. I captured and saved several hundred packets. I initiated a soft "outside call" and generated some "red" fields in wireshark. It seems something is going on (red) between the home IP address and the softphone IP address. The info states previous packet lost/reassembled. However, I don't really know how to dissect the data or use the soft ware.

Another intersting thing about the wire shark is when I have the interface capture menu active, the following adpters are accumulating packets:

1. Adapter fpr generic dialup and vpn capture

2. Dell wireless 1350 Wlan Mini PCI card.

3. Wan (PPP/Slip) interface

The packet ratio between vpn & ppp/slip is 1:1

The packets accumulte at a higher rate on the wireless 1350 than the vpn & ppp/slip.

I dont know if this means anything or not, but interesting.

Thanks for your interest,

Mike

merlin_1
Super Advisor

In order for the pcxset to work in IP mode , the system MUST be in ip on the fly mode . Upgrading to R5.0.31 code is just to make sure that you are not experiencing an already fixed issue .

In re to the info that you supplied above :

I would change over to ip on the fly , then add in ip addresses and retest .

This message was edited by merlin on 1-30-09 @ 10:51 AM
bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

yes, i agree with merlin.. either the nbx needs to be in ip-on-the-fly mode and put in ip addresses in the nbx or change the NBX to Standard IP if you want your phones to use the networks DHCP.

mswann60_1
Advisor

Thanks for all your support guys.

I have a guy reading up on the proceedure now.

Thanks,

Mike

This message was edited by mswann60 on 1-30-09 @ 10:48 AM
Ed Holt
Regular Advisor

Did anyone notice that the NBX is set to ethernet only!

You need to set to IP on the fly and supply ip addresses for the Line cards to use.

3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert
3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert CCNA
mswann60_1
Advisor

Yep, thats been explained to me. Just trying to find the time, to read up learn how to do it. I am a part time 3Com tech, lol.

mswann60_1
Advisor

ANYONE KNOW OF A SERVICE TECH IN LONG BEACH, CA AREA?

I dont have time to learn on this or have the phone system down while I experiment.

I called the 3Com recommmended service tech in the area 3 times in the last 2 weeks and have not recieved a followup call.

I would gladly pay to have someone set up and verify this IP on the fly change.

We are a small system. 6 each 3102 handsets "in network" and a couple of PCXSET soft phones in remote "out of network" locations (wireless while traveling).

We can be reached at:

56two-49two-1394

Thanks,

Mike Swann