cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBX25 and PCXSET problem

mswann60_1
Advisor

NBX25 and PCXSET problem

Hi, I bought a business where they are using an NBX25 Running system software 5_0_0.

I tried to use PCXSET software 5.0.4 from this website. It works fine in network but if I go offsite and try it with my VPN, RJ45 or 802.1 connected, no audio. The commands get through OK.

I am using a Dell 610 with XP Pro for remote connection. The audio hardware is Sigmatel, the NIC is Broadcom and the wireless is Dell 1350. Something that is odd is the PCXSET has to "looking" at the Broadcom hardware/driver no matter what in order to connect wiht the NBX25. The 610 does not find the NBX25 in default or wireless setting.

I have the VPN (Microsoft) set to the DNS of the server with an alternate DNS for the NBX25. The VPN works fine for the synchronized Outlook.

Soft firewalls are what comes installed with the MS XP Pro and hardware firewall in the Linksys router only.

I have tried all of the fixes within the knowledge base to no avail.

I am lost from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Mike

24 REPLIES
merlin_1
Super Advisor

Re: NBX25 and PCXSET problem

NBX 25 ? WOW ! Thats an older system . Are you sure it is not a 100 ? NBX 25 had its own code and was not 5.0 compatable as far as I know .

If you get control packets but do not get audio , then a trace would be necessary to see where the issue is . On a microsoft vpn , you should not have any issues with the fdefault set up . Not sure if You should be using a DNS as on our set ups , I do not . My pcxset works fine on a 5.0 and a 6.0 system after vp n'ing form home .

mswann60_1
Advisor

Yep, its an NBX 25 chassis with a V3000 controller(?), works great I might add.

here is some more info.

Current System Settings

Software Version: R5_0_0

System Serial #: 0750801202

Host Name: V3000

IP Address: 192.168.1.15

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Network Protocol: Ethernet Only

MOH MAC Address: 00:e0:bb:1c:80:37

Free Memory: 45,779,156

Memory Upgrade Installed: NO (117,436,416 byte)

Date and Time: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:49:31 AM

System Start Time: Friday, January 2, 2009 7:27:08 AM

bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

hi.

Since the pcxset works on the local lan, then the settings must be ok.. so I am presuming issue is in the network.. I did find this 3KB that states what the

firewally settings should be.

It would be interesting if you take a phone home and point it to the NBX.. will that get audio? Just to see if it is pcxset issue or phone issue.....

Title:NBX 100, SS 3 NBX - Firewall settings for IP Telephony

ID:2.0.33506880.2656397

Fact: UDP Ports

Problem: Which UDP ports must be open on the firewall so remote phones can access the NBX

Problem: Opening UDP ports

Problem: Opening the firewall for remote phones

Problem: Which TCP ports must be open

Problem: Accessing the NBX remotely

Fix: Open the following ports to allow a remote phone to access the NBX:

TCP port 1040 (used for call setup)

UDP ports 2093 through 2096

Port use specifics:

NBX_CALL_CONTROL_UDP_PORT = 2093

NBX_AUDIO_UDP_PORT = 2094

NBX_INTER_NCP_SIGNALING_UDP_PORT = 2095

NBX_DIRECTORY_SERVICES_UDP_PORT = 2096

Luckycharms
Frequent Advisor

You mentioned two NIC Broadcom and Wilress Dell. I think PC Xset pick a NIC on install to use. If this is the case and your VPN is over wireless then you may not really be using the VPN.

Also your V3000 subnet is a common one. Make sure your remote network does not have the same subnet.

merlin_1
Super Advisor

You should be running R5.0.31 code on the NBX . The Chassis is ok .

I agree with LuckyCharms and check the nics first . Also the trace will tell you if the ports are open

mswann60_1
Advisor

When I am at home, I do get connection and the commands go through, just not the audio. I will review the router settings.

mswann60_1
Advisor

This is probably a dumb question for you guys, but any reference material on doing traces?

This message was edited by mswann60 on 1-28-09 @ 4:09 PM
mswann60_1
Advisor

Progress.

Bosoxfan's router settings allow me to audiably connect to the office from home.

However, When I try to use an outside line connection through the NBX in the office, no audio. Again the commands are getting through, but not the audio. Tested this on my cell phone.

If I try to reduce the remote computer's subnet to 255.255.255.254, it will not connect to the NBX.

If I disconnect the VPN, the softphone will not intialize.

This message was edited by mswann60 on 1-28-09 @ 10:23 PM
bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

well, progress in baby steps i guess.

let me get this right... you now get two way audio when you call in from pcxset to an nbx phone?

however, if you dial from pcxset out your analog line card or pri card, you get no audio??? or is it one way audio???

is pri or analog line card on the same subnet and switch as your nbx? maybe it is on a different switch and some of those ports are being blocked??

A trace will show if you are getting audio...

might also have to do a trace on the other side of your router to ensure that audio is being sent.

Luckycharms
Frequent Advisor

Any packet trace utility will work i.e Wireshark. Typically you need 2 or more traces to get a full picture of whats going on. Think of it this way.

You have at least 4 or more possible ports along the connection from home to NBX that is dropping the packets.

NBX------(1)FW(2)--------(3)HomeFW(4)-----PC

Now if the NBX is connected to a switch before its connected to the FW then thats 2 more. If there is a Router between NBX and FW thats that an additional 2.

More than likely these Audio packets are getting dropped by port (3) or not being sent our port (2). Also make sure that your Work FW is not redirecting the packets

Another poissibility is if your are using "IP on the Fly" for the NBX. The ARP cache on the FW maintains previous IP to MAC address association for a device for a previsous call. When a new call is set up, the call control is fine to the NBX NCP but the actual audio is sent to the previous MAC/IP pair intstead of the new one causing 1 way audio

merlin_1
Super Advisor

Bosoxfan's router settings allow me to audiably connect to the office from home.

However, When I try to use an outside line connection through the NBX in the office, no audio. Again the commands are getting through, but not the audio. Tested this on my cell phone.

So if I understand you cna call tel to tel and the audio is fine but when you call using a telco line you get audio issues ?

If so then check your ip on the fly set up and make sure you have ip addresses set up for the boards under the ip tab in neteset ....

mswann60_1
Advisor

let me get this right... you now get two way audio when you call in from pcxset to an nbx phone?

Yes.

however, if you dial from pcxset out your analog line card or pri card, you get no audio??? or is it one way audio???

No audio, tx or rx to the outside telephone. We are using a 3C10114 analog line card.

is pri or analog line card on the same subnet and switch as your nbx?

As far as I can tell it, its all on the same subnet. I will review the administrative settings. Again, when the remote softphone is in system connected to the switch, everything is fine.

maybe it is on a different switch and some of those ports are being blocked??

There is only one switch in the office. A managed gigabit 24 port. If the remote switch needs to be set up, It would not be much help on using open wireless signals or offices of business partners when travelling internationally.

A trace will show if you are getting audio...

might also have to do a trace on the other side of your router to ensure that audio is being sent.

I guess I have to learn how to do traces. I have had a hard time trying to find decent help on this locally.

mswann60_1
Advisor

Update,

Subnet mask: router, switch, server and NBX all set to 255.255.255.0

I updated the NBX system software to 5_0_31. NO improvement. Noted that the system is set at "Ethernet only", not "IP on the fly".

I installed wireshark on remote computer and made a network scan from home. I captured and saved several hundred packets. I initiated a soft "outside call" and generated some "red" fields in wireshark. It seems something is going on (red) between the home IP address and the softphone IP address. The info states previous packet lost/reassembled. However, I don't really know how to dissect the data or use the soft ware.

Another intersting thing about the wire shark is when I have the interface capture menu active, the following adpters are accumulating packets:

1. Adapter fpr generic dialup and vpn capture

2. Dell wireless 1350 Wlan Mini PCI card.

3. Wan (PPP/Slip) interface

The packet ratio between vpn & ppp/slip is 1:1

The packets accumulte at a higher rate on the wireless 1350 than the vpn & ppp/slip.

I dont know if this means anything or not, but interesting.

Thanks for your interest,

Mike

merlin_1
Super Advisor

In order for the pcxset to work in IP mode , the system MUST be in ip on the fly mode . Upgrading to R5.0.31 code is just to make sure that you are not experiencing an already fixed issue .

In re to the info that you supplied above :

I would change over to ip on the fly , then add in ip addresses and retest .

This message was edited by merlin on 1-30-09 @ 10:51 AM
bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

yes, i agree with merlin.. either the nbx needs to be in ip-on-the-fly mode and put in ip addresses in the nbx or change the NBX to Standard IP if you want your phones to use the networks DHCP.

mswann60_1
Advisor

Thanks for all your support guys.

I have a guy reading up on the proceedure now.

Thanks,

Mike

This message was edited by mswann60 on 1-30-09 @ 10:48 AM
Ed Holt
Regular Advisor

Did anyone notice that the NBX is set to ethernet only!

You need to set to IP on the fly and supply ip addresses for the Line cards to use.

3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert
3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert CCNA
mswann60_1
Advisor

Yep, thats been explained to me. Just trying to find the time, to read up learn how to do it. I am a part time 3Com tech, lol.

mswann60_1
Advisor

ANYONE KNOW OF A SERVICE TECH IN LONG BEACH, CA AREA?

I dont have time to learn on this or have the phone system down while I experiment.

I called the 3Com recommmended service tech in the area 3 times in the last 2 weeks and have not recieved a followup call.

I would gladly pay to have someone set up and verify this IP on the fly change.

We are a small system. 6 each 3102 handsets "in network" and a couple of PCXSET soft phones in remote "out of network" locations (wireless while traveling).

We can be reached at:

56two-49two-1394

Thanks,

Mike Swann

merlin_1
Super Advisor

Stand By and I will get you that info . I owe you that ....

merlin_1
Super Advisor

Hi MIke

I have tested the Nics out here . I have a Lenovo T500 with 4 nics . Everytime I change locations , my nic is picked up by PCXSet as the active nic in my pc . It should use the active nic automatically . In networks page on pcxset , are you using the pc info ? Make sure to do that as well as assign an IP address and a MAC address in the correct fields . Could you verify these for me please ?

Thanks

Luckycharms
Frequent Advisor

Stick with the basics first.

1 The NBX(including PSTN cards) must be using IP addresses for your remote connections to work. Can be IP-on-the-fly or sa combination of static and DHCP. Sounds like you have that covered

2 Its was a great idea to upgrade to 5.0.31 to start with. In my opinion the more out of date you version of code. Its always a good idea when you have a problem, regardless of symptom, to load the most recent version of code you can get. An analogy: If you PC is at Windows SP1 its a good idea to install SP3.

3 For the time being, simply use the packet trace to confirm you are getting NBX packets to and from your remote PC. Its rare to have a perfect network trace and we are not looking for deep packet analysis. So ignore colour coding of packets, errors etc for now. Most time these are just default thresholds within the app which may need to be increased or decrease depending on the network.

Regarding the packet trace itself

All traffic VPN, PPP/SLIP and Internet traffic will show up on the Wireless NIC trace. However only VPN traffic will show on VPN NIC and PPP/SLIP on that NIC.

It sounds like you maybe running IPSec over PPTP that is why there is a PPP NIC and a VPN NIC. My best guess it that the Qty if Packets on these 2 NIC is roughtly the same.

mswann60_1
Advisor

Lucky and Merlin,

I spent a few bucks with tech support, the IP on the fly is working and the remote PCXSET is handing the calls properly. It was simpler than I expected. Guess I was feeling intimidated.

I will work with the NIC issue tonight from home.

One quick question, the autodialer is a nice feature I would like to have, but hasn't and still not will not work with my laptop. My inside guy said that it will not work according to forum info he has been reading. Is this the case?

Thanks,

Mike

This message was edited by mswann60 on 2-16-09 @ 2:30 PM
merlin_1
Super Advisor

Hi Mike

Glad to hear all is ok . As far as I know , The rerdial function works ok , but not sure what you are refferring to for the Auto dialer.