1748276 Members
4131 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Phones and VLANS for SIP

bigmaneric97_1
Frequent Advisor

Phones and VLANS for SIP

So I'm working on my test bed and I can not seem to get my phones to work unless I prgram the VLAN into the phones.  We are running two VLANS one for voice and one for data and the workstations are using the phone's switch for connectivity so I have hybrid ports with the data untagged and the voice tagged.  In SIP you can't tag the vlan's to the phone so should I really need to have the vlan assigned to the phone since I have static IP information in the phone?

Thanks,

Eric

3 REPLIES 3
merlin215
Valued Contributor

In SIP you can't tag the vlan's to the phone so should I really need to have the vlan assigned to the phone since I have static IP information in the phone?

I assume that you are setting this up statically ? No DHCP ?

This is a question for our data group , or whomever is the swithc/router vendor , as it combines the switch with the tel settings .

You can set the vlan in the tel for tagging but the rest is up to the switch/router .  Not an expert on  network info .

bigmaneric97_1
Frequent Advisor

I'll post in the switch forum as well.  These are 3COM 5500 ei switches.

THanks Eric

merlin215
Valued Contributor

Hi Eric

I think your solution may be to use DHCP on the 5500 . I know we had spoken in re to this , but I wanted everyone here to know what we found

Statically assigning a lot of devices like that is not really  a good idea . My recommendation was to set up 5500 dhcp  and enable option 184 for the vlan and ip info .

The data folks on the 5500  can assist you with this .

Thanks Eric