1748180 Members
4027 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pkto TimeOut - to the NBX MAC address

dig1234
Advisor

Pkto TimeOut - to the NBX MAC address

I understand that this message in the NBOSS log, means the NBX did not recieve status packets from a device but what if the MAC is the NCP's address!! Does that mean the chasis needs to be replaced? Could it be a connectivity problem with the switch?

This is the message:

E Got a Pkto TimeOut - Application Should Mark Device DOWN

any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
jprichard
Advisor

I had joined the forum just to ask the same question!!

What I'm wondering is, if it's not the NCP trying to so much communicate with itself, but could it be that as a call extends to a phone, then is unanswered, has to return to the NCP <MAC address> to connect to one of the voicemail ports, and gets a PKTO trying to do so-- because of what?? network congestion, etc??

My customer doesn't complain of any issues with this; it just shows up in the NBoss Log.  So I don't know what severity this carries.?.

-Jim

merlin_1
Super Advisor

NoThink of it as an ack / nack .

The tel sends a packet saying I am here and the NCP answers back with an ok . A little more involved for the  status updates etc . But when the NBX and the tel can see each other then these messages will not show up . Its only when the 2 devices do not talk . Usually a network issue blocking the packets . Could be a bad device as well but very rare . If you trac eout your network and see the packets coming from the tel , then you know the NBX is not seeing it , hence the network .

Try a hub for testing .....

dig1234
Advisor

But what does it mean when the NBX's own Mac address is reported as the device not connecting?

merlin_1
Super Advisor

It means that for some reason that Mac is not responding within the time allowed ( Milliseconds response time ) . Happens once in a while . If the issue occurs all of the time , trace out the network and find out the timing between the send and the recieve . Thats the only real true way to see .