108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Procedures to conver from NBX standard to SIP

SOLVED
Go to solution
bigmaneric97_1
Frequent Advisor

Procedures to conver from NBX standard to SIP

I am trying to find some documentation on the conversion process from NBX standard to SIP.  Also can you recommend a good file converter to convert my .WAV files for my AA?

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

The NBX Admin guide does a pretty good job of telling you what you might lose when switching to SIP mode.

yes, you lose all recorded AA;s and peoples voicemail greetings and voicemails since audio will be switched from ADPCM to G.711 (or G.729)

Main thing to also remember is now your phones must have an IP address.. either get it from DHCP or statically enter into the phone.. this has bitten a few people because they did not plan for the number of IP addresses.

For converting to G.711, Adobe Audition is not bad.... I can't say it is the best or worse.. it is the only one I am familiar with.

bigmaneric97_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the information.  I made the change on my test V5000 and I have static IP addresses on my test phones. a 3102 and a 3103.  The 3103 won't get programming, and the 3102 reports all ports busy when I try to dial another extension where I have a anor 3102 connected.

We do have our voice data VLAN'd and I have the phones setup for a VLAN but it appears in SIP mode that VLAN tagginging isn't allowed.   My concern with that is th fact that we daisy chain our workstations through the phone's switch.  Should that make a difference?

Thanks,

Eric

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

when in SIP mode, VLAN tagging is done by the switch that you connect the NBX to..

as for your getting an "all ports busy" when dial anohter 3102, is that other 3102 "unknown"?? I would presume, then it goes to vm and you get the all ports busy...

did you chose NBX Messaging with g.7111???? (sounds like you might have chosen IP messaging and have no IP message system attached??)

merlin215
Valued Contributor

That is correct

VLans are blanked out in SIP mode . As per BoSoxFan  You need to do this via your network .

Your switches and routers are needed to set the vlans .

greg24
Regular Advisor

@bigmaneric97_1 wrote:

We do have our voice data VLAN'd and I have the phones setup for a VLAN but it appears in SIP mode that VLAN tagginging isn't allowed.   My concern with that is th fact that we daisy chain our workstations through the phone's switch.  Should that make a difference?

Stop right there.  Start by separating your phones from your PCs.  Having your PC plugged into your phone is just begging for trouble.  My current employer was setup exactly like this.  Every PC was plugged into a telephone and they had nothing but trouble.  When the 3Com NBX went down (and it did go down alot) so did the rest of the network as the PCs lost their network connection.  The clocks on the phones were wrong, the lights were not working correctly, calls were being dropped, parking didn't work, transfers were going to the wrong extension, network speeds were horribly slow.  The NBX was running version 4.3 when I started.  I started by upgrading to version 5.  Fortunately for me every workstation had 2 network jacks and the jacks were live.  I spent 2 months (off and on) mapping everything and planning for the separation.  I spent 3 days separating everything and the system has never worked better.  I have upgraded to version 6 and 6.5.22p3 is what I am running now.  I have almost every telephone on the same ethernet segment as the NBX so all of the NBX traffic is layer 2 across 4 buildings.  I do have two phones that are still IP as I haven't figured out how to vlan a 4400 to support both the phones and data.

bigmaneric97_1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

The issue with the all ports busy turned out be the fact that even though the other phone appeared to on the switch and had an extension it wasn't getting the right gateway to it.  I corrected that and I can dial all estensions now.

Thanks for the help.