cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote IP Phone: Callers cannot hear me

chadworks
Occasional Visitor

Remote IP Phone: Callers cannot hear me

Hi. We have the NBX V3000 with a number of 3102b phones. We are trying to get a remote phone setup. I have everything setup to work. Port forwarding for the NBX/NCP is correct, the remote phone connects to the NCP, the NCP finds the phone, I am able to make calls other extentions, make outgoing calls, except incoming calls, etc.

There is just one problem. From the remote phone, I can hear the other person just fine, but they cannot hear me. I've tried everything. I've tried switching form IP on the fly to Standard IP, I've tried a million port forwarding scenarios. Nothing has worked.

I thought perahps there was a port on the NAT router that the NCP is behind not allowing the packets come in from the remote phone—but I can't find documentation anywhere that would tell me what ports they would be. Only 2093-2096 are the ports I've seen documented.

Any help would be great. I've been pulling my hair out for days. Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES
chadworks
Occasional Visitor

Re: Remote IP Phone: Callers cannot hear me

Couple things to note. Looking at my router logs...

These logs are from the router where the remote phone is located

Incoming 

Feb 5 20:40:44 - [Access Log] UDP Packet - 70.90.***.***:57947 --> 192.168.0.6:2093

Outgoing

Feb 5 20:40:44 - [Access Log] UDP Packet - 192.168.0.6:2093 --> 192.168.1.217:2093

You can see that the packets going out from the remote phone are trying to be sent to the LAN IP of the NCP, not the public ip. See how the incoming packets are correctly coming from the public IP of the NCP 70.90.***.***

Any thoughts would be great!

bigmaneric97_1
Frequent Advisor

Cechk for traffic on TCP ports 1040 - 1044.  Once the phone call has been established all comunication is directly between the phones.  The NBX just builds the calls and then tears them down.

Hope that helps.

chadworks
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the info. After doing some more research I've discovered that the NBX remote IP phones will only work if done over a VPN. I've been using just port forwarding thus far. I am going to setup a VPN today and see if that takes care of the audio issue. Thank again.

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

Check the gateway on your phone and make sure it is the right gateway that you want going to the Public IP

chadworks
Occasional Visitor

I have the gatway on the remote phone set to the LAN's gateway IP where the remote phone is located.

merlin215
Valued Contributor

If you are using a VPN , make sure its a hardware VPN as we do not support a software VPN on our tels . alos ports 2093 2094  2095 and 2096 , along with port 80 and port 1040 .