1753756 Members
4590 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIP 3c3108 with 6.5.22

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

SIP 3c3108 with 6.5.22

Still trying to resolve some problems with this phone. A question, should a group 1 or group 2 phone liscense be used with this phone? The NBX documentation states that a  G1 device will use a G2 license if  G1 liscense is not available. If so, what would be the type(group) of device used in the "telephone configure menu" since 3108 type is not available? Also , G2 doenst seem to have any password verification. The documentation that came with the phone does not address this either. Any words of wisdom?

26 REPLIES 26
bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

The 3108 will use 1 Group 1 license.

You do not configure a 3108 via the "telephone configuration" menu.

Rather, you create a user for the phone. Here you can chose the telephone group as "Default 3108 Wireless group". Once you create the user, then you must go into the System Maintenance/Password Administration and set the password. (Passwords are not automatically set in the NBX).. The password will match the extension. So, if you have x2000 with password 2000, this is what you must program into the 3108 for the phone to register.

When the phone does register successfully, if you go to the "Telephone Configuration" page in Netset,

you will see the SIP phone listed on the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps !

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

Thank Bosox,

We will get a group 1 license installed Monday.

If figured out the user configuration requirement in the 3Com documentation after the post .

We  get a good ping to the NBX from the 3108 handset.

Interesting, the documentation states a password of 1234 is assigned, but could not get it to work with a group 2 license or that password either. A few questions about your post

1. I guess this is where I am losing it.  If I go into the System Maintenance>Password Administration, I can reset it, but not change it to a new value. Is this the necessary feature of the group 1 license?

2. On the handset SIP Domain; what do we use? I can't find it referenced in the documentation and the only domain that I can see in the system software is in the Systemwide>IP settings is the SMTP domain which is mail.xxxxxxxxxx.com. Is this what we use?

Thanks,

Mike

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

the password 1234 is assigned to the phone.. so when you go into the profile and it asks you for the password, that is the default password. Not the password to register with the NBX. the documentation is not too clear on this

Yes, Password administration resets the password to the phone extension. You do not have an option of changing it to something else. Only the user can do this. Security reasons.

If you are using the Web interface to configure, then here is an example with x1005 on NBX 10.230.134.5

Phone Number: 1005

Authentication ID: sip:1005@10.230.134.5

Authentication Password: 1005

SIP domain : leave blank

Proxy address: 10.230.134.5

Outbound address: leave blank

Local port 5060

register time: 3600

codec: auto

pkt tim:default

outofbandtmf: On

hope this helps !

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

Ahh, the holy grail. Thank you so much Bosox fan!

Next question, To use the phone outside of our firewall, can we polulate "outbound address" with our DNS or static IP we have assigned for sip traffic?

Thanks again,

Mike

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

you ask a good question and I am not sure of the answer.

try putting the static ip address in the SIP domain.. that might just do it.

If not, make sure that port 5060 is open on your firewall for the SIP signalling.. and port 8xxxx for the RTP audio

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

Haven't quite got it to work out of network. It will not even register.  The degugger shows 0 activity.

At least the packets are not getting blocked going in (the FW).  I know its a FW issue, I have a service ticket open with Astaro as well.

On the RTP ports; is there a specific range or  is it 8000-8999?

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

hi.. RTP would be 80xx - 81xx (sorry about that, need to narrow that down)

also, on the firewall,  check and see if it is "sip proxy enabled". It should NOT be.

I have see firewalls changing SIP packets and thus the phone would try to register with the firewall and not the NBX

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

Still not registering. A few more questions,

Does the registration process occur solely on 5060?

Here is what we know:

1. The outbond address is set to the FW IP address assigned for SIP traffic.

1. The remote location IP address hits the firewall on port 5060

2. The packet gets routed to the NBX

3. The NBX routes a packet to the remote location IP address on port 5060. Note that the firewall is temporarily turrned off on this router.

4. The handset is not registering.

5. The wire shark scan shows a status 100 trying and status 404 not found on the remote end, but everything looks ok on the remote end. Tryind to attach wire shark .pcap file but I dont think the BB software is working right. 

Can you think of anything or submit it to a peer group?

Thanks Mike

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

I think you should open a case on this...

5060 is the port for SIP traffic

In the meantime, where are you taking the wireshark trace from? the phone side or the NBX side.

If the NBX side and you are seeing a 100 Trying then the REGISTER packet is reaching the NBX.

So NBX should send back a 200 OK  .. but on the phone end you see a 404 which means

that the 200OK did not reach the phone.. is it possible that port 5060 is only open one way?

anyone else in this forum have any comments?

Not sure there is a peer group here.