cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIP 3c3108 with 6.5.22

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

SIP 3c3108 with 6.5.22

Still trying to resolve some problems with this phone. A question, should a group 1 or group 2 phone liscense be used with this phone? The NBX documentation states that a  G1 device will use a G2 license if  G1 liscense is not available. If so, what would be the type(group) of device used in the "telephone configure menu" since 3108 type is not available? Also , G2 doenst seem to have any password verification. The documentation that came with the phone does not address this either. Any words of wisdom?

26 REPLIES
bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

Re: SIP 3c3108 with 6.5.22

The 3108 will use 1 Group 1 license.

You do not configure a 3108 via the "telephone configuration" menu.

Rather, you create a user for the phone. Here you can chose the telephone group as "Default 3108 Wireless group". Once you create the user, then you must go into the System Maintenance/Password Administration and set the password. (Passwords are not automatically set in the NBX).. The password will match the extension. So, if you have x2000 with password 2000, this is what you must program into the 3108 for the phone to register.

When the phone does register successfully, if you go to the "Telephone Configuration" page in Netset,

you will see the SIP phone listed on the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps !

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

Thank Bosox,

We will get a group 1 license installed Monday.

If figured out the user configuration requirement in the 3Com documentation after the post .

We  get a good ping to the NBX from the 3108 handset.

Interesting, the documentation states a password of 1234 is assigned, but could not get it to work with a group 2 license or that password either. A few questions about your post

1. I guess this is where I am losing it.  If I go into the System Maintenance>Password Administration, I can reset it, but not change it to a new value. Is this the necessary feature of the group 1 license?

2. On the handset SIP Domain; what do we use? I can't find it referenced in the documentation and the only domain that I can see in the system software is in the Systemwide>IP settings is the SMTP domain which is mail.xxxxxxxxxx.com. Is this what we use?

Thanks,

Mike

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

the password 1234 is assigned to the phone.. so when you go into the profile and it asks you for the password, that is the default password. Not the password to register with the NBX. the documentation is not too clear on this

Yes, Password administration resets the password to the phone extension. You do not have an option of changing it to something else. Only the user can do this. Security reasons.

If you are using the Web interface to configure, then here is an example with x1005 on NBX 10.230.134.5

Phone Number: 1005

Authentication ID: sip:1005@10.230.134.5

Authentication Password: 1005

SIP domain : leave blank

Proxy address: 10.230.134.5

Outbound address: leave blank

Local port 5060

register time: 3600

codec: auto

pkt tim:default

outofbandtmf: On

hope this helps !

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

Ahh, the holy grail. Thank you so much Bosox fan!

Next question, To use the phone outside of our firewall, can we polulate "outbound address" with our DNS or static IP we have assigned for sip traffic?

Thanks again,

Mike

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

you ask a good question and I am not sure of the answer.

try putting the static ip address in the SIP domain.. that might just do it.

If not, make sure that port 5060 is open on your firewall for the SIP signalling.. and port 8xxxx for the RTP audio

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

Haven't quite got it to work out of network. It will not even register.  The degugger shows 0 activity.

At least the packets are not getting blocked going in (the FW).  I know its a FW issue, I have a service ticket open with Astaro as well.

On the RTP ports; is there a specific range or  is it 8000-8999?

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

hi.. RTP would be 80xx - 81xx (sorry about that, need to narrow that down)

also, on the firewall,  check and see if it is "sip proxy enabled". It should NOT be.

I have see firewalls changing SIP packets and thus the phone would try to register with the firewall and not the NBX

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

Still not registering. A few more questions,

Does the registration process occur solely on 5060?

Here is what we know:

1. The outbond address is set to the FW IP address assigned for SIP traffic.

1. The remote location IP address hits the firewall on port 5060

2. The packet gets routed to the NBX

3. The NBX routes a packet to the remote location IP address on port 5060. Note that the firewall is temporarily turrned off on this router.

4. The handset is not registering.

5. The wire shark scan shows a status 100 trying and status 404 not found on the remote end, but everything looks ok on the remote end. Tryind to attach wire shark .pcap file but I dont think the BB software is working right. 

Can you think of anything or submit it to a peer group?

Thanks Mike

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

I think you should open a case on this...

5060 is the port for SIP traffic

In the meantime, where are you taking the wireshark trace from? the phone side or the NBX side.

If the NBX side and you are seeing a 100 Trying then the REGISTER packet is reaching the NBX.

So NBX should send back a 200 OK  .. but on the phone end you see a 404 which means

that the 200OK did not reach the phone.. is it possible that port 5060 is only open one way?

anyone else in this forum have any comments?

Not sure there is a peer group here.

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

The Wire shark .pcap file we have is for the remote location. Everything step shows that the traffic is on port 5060.  I can upload the file to be reviewed.

The firewall vendor verified that the packets were bi-directional though the appliance. They did a pcap scan remotely and have stated that the firewall is performing correctly in this application.

We do not have a service contract on the NBX V3000, but this this point, we would be willing to spend some money to resolve this. I am running to the end of my skill set and this problem scared off the network support that I had.

I am open to suggestions.

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

another suggestion:

did you create a user on the NBX with that extension number and password?

that would cause a 404 Not FOund also since the extension number does not exist on the NBX.

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

I set up the user configuration like you stated in post #4  with our assigned extension number and it registered fine in network. I created a new SIP profile based off of the working "in network" profile. All ihave done is experiment with our Static Sip IP and the handset's sip domain and outbound address settings. I then tied it to a new network profile (remote) and have been try empirically to get it to work ever since.

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

So how do we open a case? We do not have an active service contract.

On another issue, is there a way to directly look at the packets in the NBX? Unfortunately, our firewall defeats the wireshark.
Please respond. We have been struggling 2.5 months now trying to get WAN SIP connectivity.
bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

Call 800-876-3266 and they can tell you how to log a call.

No way to look at NBX packets directly.. most customers will mirror a port on the switch that the NBX is attached to and attach a PC to that port and run wireshark... .or put a hub with a PC in between the

NBX and the switch.

One other thing that we never mentioned.. the NBX must be in SIP mode, is it?

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

HP said the unit is out of warranty, therefore unsupported.

A hub? Like a base 10 T hub? Can you even get those anymore?  I have never been inside my switch, but I think I can handle this.

Yes the NBX is in sip mode. The 3018 works fine in LAN. I got Astaro to monitor it remotely. Wireshark apparently does not work with Linux.

The NBX is issuing a 404:

14:41:11.134340 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 5010, offset 0, flags [none], proto UDP (17), length 546) 192.168.1.15.5060 > 71.108.16.62.5060: SIP, length: 518

SIP/2.0 404 Not Found

From: 112 <sip:112@192.168.1.15:5060>;tag=822837bdb457c2f

To: 112 <sip:112@192.168.1.15:5060>

Call-Id: 752feda1062783bfb5d9eb77a5d54703@192.168.1.18

Cseq: 546185160 REGISTER

Via: SIP/2.0/UDP

192.168.1.18:5060;branch=z9hG4bK0ae859bec;received=71.108.16.62

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 22:40:53 GMT

Allow: INVITE, ACK, CANCEL, BYE, REFER, OPTIONS, REGISTER, SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY

User-Agent: 3Com-SIP-Phone/v2.6.0 (sipXphone) (VxWorks)

Accept-Language: en

Supported: replaces

Content-Length: 0

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

hi. Since the phone does register when it is in the LAN, the x112 is ok.

We have seen issues where the firewall changes the packet if the firewall is "sip enabled"... is the firewall

SIP enabled?

also, I am presuming that the 192.168.1.15 is the nbx in the above..

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

Bosox,

Yes its sip enabled. Its an Astaro ASG120 running 7.507. Yes the NBX is 192.168.1.15.

Do you know a competent tech out in southern Californa we could contact?

Thanks,

Mike

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

Can you disable SIP on the firewall and see if it registers?

It should.

We have seen issues where "SIP enabled" firewalls are acting as the proxy and changing the SIP packets.

When SIP has been disabled, everything was fine.

Sorry, I am not allowed to give out tech names.

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

We did that yesterday, it did not register.

merlin02131
Advisor

Those network settings have always been a bit complex . I would do a trace in the local subnet then do a trace over the firewall . This way you will be able to see what is not being sent . I agree with BoSoxfan its the firewall as well but generally there are so many params that it is difficult to say what is being blocked .  You can also trace on both sides of the firewall ( inbound and outbound of the F/W ) and see what is being blocked as well . Either way a trace will be your only help .

What kind of firewall ?

Can you totally disable the firewall for a test ?

Is this a vpn or is it a private network ?

Either way , your F/W needs to be checked as well to see why all of the traffic is not getting thru , so maybe log some stuff on the F/W as well could help .

I will check with my boss to see why you were refused but you should have been able to open up a case . As far as I know , We refuse no one at this point .

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

Merlin,

I would be interested in opening a service ticket. Also, I do have a support contract with Astaro, (the firewall appliance) and the Astaro support team stated that they would work with the NBX service team directly if need be to resolve this problem.

The goal is to get the 3108 handset work with whatever available 802.11 connection there is, field configure it and communicate with the NBX in the corp office.

Please advise.

thanks,

Mike

merlin02131
Advisor

Please open a case . Traces are a MUST !

mswann60
Frequent Advisor

The last time a tried I was refused. Any words of wisdom?

merlin02131
Advisor

don't know why you are refused , but repost the person who refued you and I'll be more than glad to find out ..... If you do not have a contract , then they can open a billable case for you .