1753505 Members
6375 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: V3000 Voice Mail Lock Outs

bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

keym00, I see in the 6.5.18 release notes "VM port lockup. users cannot access mailboxes" and is fixed in 6.5.18. you should upgrade to 6.5.22 and see if that fixes your issue. I also see that someone has a similar problem and is not fixed in 6.5.18 but it may be same symptom, different root cause.

merlin_1
Super Advisor

I was not aware of the increae in contracts . I will post your question internally and see if I can get another answer for you ....

merlin_1
Super Advisor

From one of our other folks :

If you can see this info from the voicemail ports access info screen , What is the last thing the user does when the system hangs the ports? Since the port shows the user who was accessing it when it hung, they should be able to say exactly what they were doing, and how it hung on them, unless they can say that they exited normally which could also be helpful. Is it always the same few users locking the ports? Maybe some of them are trying to forward a corrupt message - I know we had an issue where acting on a voicemail message that was corrupted, or had an invalid caller ID because it came from a Cisco router line into the NBX caused the VM to lock when the user listened to the message - one port at a time. This way find out if they were listening to a message when it hung, and see if you can re-create - if after the system is rebooted they try to listen to that same message again, etc

keym00

Thank you for the continued support on this. Unfortunately I will need to wait till the problem happens again, but the system does show the user who accessed the port last .. thus I should be able to ask them what they did last. I do remember that the receptionist appears to show up quite often. She may be able to provide more ensite as to what she was doing at the time as normally she is the one to report the problem.

Thank you again for the troubleshooting steps, I'll definitely report back after gathering some more information.
merlin_1
Super Advisor

Will do ...

Good Luck !

EDY4229
Advisor

Yes you are 1000% correct. I sell 4 manufactures equipment and only have to pay 3COM to support their equipment or take a re-qualification exams ever year or two. When we started selling and installing 3COM this was not an issue, I had support and free re-cert exams. But I digress... We did up grade to 6.5.18 and despite the notes it DID NOT resolve our issue as noted in my 6-19-09 post. The resolution was installing a 5000 series switch. That was the last thing we did. One thing that does sound different is that there were 4 different users that seem to always be locking up the VM ports at each site, at first; I thought that it must be something that they were doing? But then I decided that there were to many of them doing it and started looking at the network. That is where we found the problem, not sure what it was, becouse we diden't have a service contract for the customer I could not open a case.

keym00

The problem has returned sooner than expected and I have spoken to the individuals who were shown last accessing the port at the time of the "hang". Every user reported that they noticed nothing out of the ordinary when checking messages and no said that they were forwarding messages.

However, it appears as if the phones are also getting hung the same day as the voicemail ports. The receptionist explained to me that she would be on a phone call and then all of a sudden neither party could hear each other. She would hang up, but the phone would still act as if it was still on a call (the timer was still counting up she said). She stated that she has to unplug the phone and then re-plug it back up in order to get it working again. She had to do this about 2-3 times on the day the ports got hung.

It does sound somewhat feasible that a switching problem could be occurring due to the fact that the phones appear to be losing communication with the NBX. I have asked that the receptionist contact us the next time the phones lock up so that I can check the status of the voicemail ports. I did find this interesting and relevant to the problem though.

I was also going to contact the Director of Technology and see about putting the NBX in a different switch just to see if that makes a difference as that appears to be the resolution for EDY..

If this new information triggers any other thoughts from anyone, please let me know.
jprichard
Advisor

I just wanted to make mention, as we had a customer who was experiencing voicemail port lockups, they were running R6.5.18 and in SIP mode.  They experienced the anomoly of calls transferred through Auto Attendant, to an extension, then forward-no-answer for that extension SHOULD have gone to the extension's mailbox, but did not, because of the bug.

Well, in testing, I tried 3 times in a row, at night,  to dial this one user's extension from Auto Attendant, and experienced the failed FNA to voicemail; then next morning checked the VM Status, and it showed THAT USER locked up 3 of the 4 VM ports, for x thousands of seconds.  He wasn't even at his desk, it was just that his extension was involved in the (failed) FNA to VM; so it isn't always what the 'user' did last to lock up the ports, but sometimes what was done 'to' or 'involving' the user's extension.

We now have upgraded them to R6.5.22, and now calls through Auto Attendant, DO forward-no-answer to users' mailboxes.

merlin_1
Super Advisor

Everyone should be running at least R6.5.22 . Too many issues in R6.5.18 . I would suggest you read the release notes , especially in sip mode .

Chuck-acps

We are running 6_5_22 and have started having these same issues.  We rebuilt the database from scratch with a new ext numbers system and still have the issue.  A user presses the blue button and when prompted they enter their VM password, then nothing.  The entire NBX locks up.  Phones stop working, web interface stops working. I do use the consol to do a Cntl-R to do a soft reboot, this corrects the issue until someone tries to access their VM.  87 users