IP Telephony - NBX
1745849 Members
4274 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Venturing into VLAN w/NBX V3000 & remote sites.

maneec

Venturing into VLAN w/NBX V3000 & remote sites.

Hello all,

We are planning on moving our NBX V3000 system onto its own VLAN. After we get the phone system on its own VLAN, we'll be further VLAN-ing out our network but initially we're going to cross this hurdle. Basically, what we are trying to do is to VLAN out each building - we're a municipality, so one VLAN for the Court, Police, Fire, - you get the idea. Naturally, we're also wanting to put the phone system on its own VLAN (99). Each data VLAN would have its own subnet issued by the DHCP server, including the Voice VLAN.

The only caveat to all of this is that we have a number of departments that are not collocated with the main complex and are connected via sets of routers over a partial T1 line. Two of the locations have their own DHCP servers, and the other three are generally just given addresses on the subnet assigned to that building. All of the remote locations have the phones given a static IP on their subnet at the main office prior to being deployed at their remote location. When one of those phones go down, for whatever reason, we generally have to reboot the phone system to get them recognized again.

We want to have the phones out at the remote locations be plug and play like they are at the main office. From what I've read, I can configure Option 184 at each DHCP server to point the phones to the NCP so they can download their image - is this correct? If that is the case then I can enable DHCP on the routers at the remote locations that do not have their own DHCP server and configure 184, yes?

Further, to accomplish the goal of splitting the phones onto their own VLAN - what is the best way to do this? I have a network diagram showing the current network diagram with the proposed VLAN overlay: Network Diagram. I've read that I can do it a number of ways, but what will be the best way to get all the phones to be PnP (for lack of better terms) at all of our locations? What should we accomplish first?

One of the things we are worried about is implementing something that will work as advertised at the main complex and take down the phones at the remote locations. If there's no way around that, it can be done after hours when many of the remotes are vacant.

Any help would be most appreciative. I feel that I have all the parts of the puzzle to make this work, but it hasn't come together in a plan to make this work.

If it helps, here is a breakdown of the machines/phones at each location.

Local/Campus Buldings (currently all on one subnet):

Bldg 1 has 26 machines, and 35 phones

Bldg 2 has 40 machines, 9 servers (which would eventually be on their own VLAN), and 52 phones.

Bldg 3 has 10 machines, 12 phones

Bldg 4 has 10 machines, 15 phones

Remote Buildings (connected via the T1):

Bldg 5 has 15 machines, one of which is a server - and 20 phones.

Bldg 6 has 9 machines, one of which is a server, and 9 phones.

Bldg 7 has 7 machines, 5 phones.

Bldg 8 has 4 machines with 2 phones.

Bldg 9 has 2 machines and 7 phones.

Thanks in advance for any insight or help that can be offered!

--Chris
6 REPLIES 6
merlin_1
Super Advisor

I would suggest that you send this request over to the data forum . We do not have too many folks in the voice group that may be able to answer that question

alexb_1
Advisor

for plug&play you will need to upgrade/replace all your linksys and unmanaged switches to something that can handle VLAN tagging.

You will also be looking to configure your routers to tunnel (probably with GRE) the voice traffic via the VLAN tag.

This way you keep the phones in native mode L2 and they auto-provision.

Sherry_22

I am also venturing into vlanning with my NBX3000.

I currently have all Cisco switches and need help with the vlan tagging for the phones. I have the option 184 setup on the DHCP server and can put the phone and the pc attached to the phone on the same vlan, but I would prefer all the voice on one vlan and the pc's on another.

Does anyone have any guidelines for port settings on the Cisco to accomplish this?

merlin_1
Super Advisor

You can do it 2 ways , but again , I would suggest you post this over in the data forum as well .

The NBX has a feature for layer 2 and 3 traffic called vlan tagging / ip vlan tagging . If you enable this option in settings , then you can also assign a vlan to your voice packets .

You then set up your L2/3 switches to give the tel devices access to the default vlan and the new one you create

If you enable the tagging feature on the NBX , You have set the QOS and prioritize bit allowing either 802.1Q QOS group or 802.1P protocol to send your packets .

So , You can prioritize without setting a vlan id or you can do both . But you must tag the traffic in order to assign a VLan to the packets. Send me your email address and I will send you a document we have called network considerations on an NBX network . It explains a lot of this that you discuss here .

This message was edited by merlin on 11-10-09 @ 1:51 PM
Juanher
Occasional Collector

Hello, I have a problem similar to that described here, please can send me the documentation to my e-mail: juanalbertoh@gmail.com

merlin215
Valued Contributor

Sent via email . Done ...