1748275 Members
3680 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Voice VLAN question

brucexx
Occasional Advisor

Voice VLAN question

Does anybody know if older 3Com phones like 1102 (3C10121) support Voice VLAN.

Call processor: V3001R with R6_0_63

Switches: 2924

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
merlin_1
Super Advisor

Re: Voice VLAN question

All NBX tels support vlan tags .

This message was edited by merlin on 3-24-09 @ 7:18 AM
brucexx
Occasional Advisor

Thanks this is what I needed.

Just to clarify I guess I asked wrong question because the Voice VLAN needs to be supported by the switch (and has nothing to do with the phone itself) and the phone will work as long as it supports vlan tagging.

merlin_1
Super Advisor

You are correct as the vlan is set by the NBX . Numerous other values can be set up but basically the vlan is supported in all versions . You can actually use the switch to set up a seperate vlan via the mac as well .

This message was edited by merlin on 3-24-09 @ 11:00 AM
brucexx
Occasional Advisor

I had terrible time setting it up and something that should (I though it should) work automatically did not work.

Here is what I discovered:

All phones will work if the telephone system is on the same subnet. Also all phones can be put on voice vlan because we can configure a switch port to tag packets for this particular port but the problem is that whatever is plugged to the back of the phone will be also on this vlan - unless we set up security and whatever is not from the phone will be dropped making the PC port on the back of the phone useless.

NOT all 3Com phones support (whatever support means) vlan tags. The auto mode of voice vlan will not work on remote subnet for 21xx rev A phones for example ,I have not tested rev. b and above of 21xx series, 31xx works!. The 21xx rev A will simply not accept the DHCP 184 suboption 3 (vlan ID) and will remain on the default vlan (untagged on the port that it is plugged in).

From what I observed in order for the phone to "support" vlan tags on remote subnets the phone needs to have the option to tag packets by itself (21xx rev A cannot do this) - if the phone does not have the ability to tag packets the phone simply sends untagged packets to the switch and the switch needs to tag them which whatever is setup for this port.