1748170 Members
4123 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Voicemail prompts and messages cutting out

Alberto Herrera
Occasional Advisor

Voicemail prompts and messages cutting out

Have a client who has recently been experiencing issues with Voicemail and would appreciate hearing any ideas as to the potential cause(s) and fix(es). Thanks in advance!

Users complain that when they tried to call in and listen to messages it just randomly cuts out.  Same thing when they call in and try to change a greeting.  Same thing when listening to messages from the office.  Some messages would cut off, and always randomly.  Not at a specific time of the message or time of day or specific user or anything. Additionally, one user reports that when people call his extension sometimes his greeting would just cut out and the call would go blank on them but not disconnect.

Have tried: 

- Rebooting the phone system (several times)

- Going into the Messaging Usage menu and clearing out a lot of voicemails that were on extensions that aren't in use currently

- Checked to make sure we never hit the max on voicemail ports in use at the same time.  The most we hit was 4 at the same time, and have 7 licenses.

- Did several tests to make sure it wasn't only listening to voicemails, but leaving voicemails from the outside, changing your greeting, and listening to the voicemails from the outside also.

- It seems to be only voicemail related, I haven't noticed it affecting any other calls.

- It is not user specific, have noticed the problem with at least 4 different users.

6 REPLIES 6
merlin215
Valued Contributor

Re: Voicemail prompts and messages cutting out

Have you tried to isolate it to the user ? maybe delete the user and tel then re create them ? Sometimes we Have seen just the users have issues .

What version of code ?

What type of NBX ?

V3k V3K1 V5K ?

How many tels ?

Both internal and external calling having the issue ?  

Alberto Herrera
Occasional Advisor

Have you tried to isolate it to the user? Multiple users are reporting the issue. I haven't yet tried recreating them.

What version of code? R6_5_22

What type of NBX? V3000

How many tels? Approx 30 

Both internal and external calling having the issue? That is correct.

Additional info -

Total devices: 108 / 250

Msg Storage used: 1.34hrs (19076kb)

Free Mem (in bytes): 2,253,756 (out of 117,436,416)

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

To get to the bottom of this, a network trace is needed... start with an internal call since it cuts out then to....

you can attach a hub to the NBX and trace from there.. that way you see all the packets coming to/from the nbx. Audio packets coming out or to should be around 30ms apart.. also check on the  trace  and make sure no packets were missing.

Alberto Herrera
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your suggestion, bosoxfan. I will see about setting up a network trace. But what this makes me wonder about is why would normal phone calls not experience the same symptoms? Again, phone calls (int and ext) are perfectly normal. Thanks again.

bosoxfan
Trusted Contributor

Audio on phone calls are between phone a and phone b. .or if external, between the phone and the PRI or analog call.

With voicemail, audio is coming from the NBX.. maybe it is the port on the NBX.. It is a different voice path.

Biosmob22
Occasional Visitor

Did you ever fix are get a fix for this issue? I am having the same issue with 3com system. User calls out over the WAN 4 Digit dialing. If the user does not pick up the voicemail is never heard. Let me know.