5086 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

call forwarding and offsite notification

greg24
Regular Advisor

call forwarding and offsite notification

Hi,

I just upgraded to 6.5.20 last night. I am now trying to setup call forwarding and offsite notification for a couple of users.

call forward:

The user has a phantom mailbox. He would like the call forwarded to his cell phone instead. I select the user, click on settings, click on call forward, select Forward to phone number, enter 9961WXYZ and the system says that Calls to your extension can only be forwarded to internal extensions, Auto Attendant or Voicemail. Is there anyway around this?

offsite notification:

I have about 30 users with phantom mailboxes who rarely if ever check there voicemail. I want the NBX send an email to the user when they get a voicemail.

So I set it up as follows:

ip settings:

smtp domain name: xyz.com

ip address: 10.10.100.190

default gateway: 10.10.100.254

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

primary dns: 10.10.102.23

network protocol: ip on the fly

vlan enabled: unchecked

user settings:

NBX Voice Mail Settings:

Enable offsite notification for all messages

Notification method: email

email address: gwhite@xyz.com

attempt interval: 5 minutes

I never get an email.

What did I do wrong?

9 REPLIES 9
merlin_1
Super Advisor

Re: call forwarding and offsite notification

TYou can try a fake MAC address ( not recommended due to rebooting and losing this ) but it is a solution . The NBX only fwds out calls to Hardware tels and not Users .

greg24
Regular Advisor

That seems a little arbitrary. If a person wants to forward their voicemail to a cell phone why can't the NBX handle that? Can I request that this functionality be added in the next release?

Thanks,

sandboxbrett
Advisor

Merlin's right. I don't know the reasoning (fraud prevention?), but a user can only forward to an off-site phone if they have a device assigned. The device doesn't have to stay online, it just needs to be assigned. You could, in theory, use a bunch of old or spare phones, but you'd require one phone per user. Connect and assign a device to each user, set the call forward, disconnect the devices while leaving them assigned to the various users. It's a little ham-handed, but it'll work.

Alternately, and I may be wrong, I think you can work around it by forwarding each user to an empty hunt group and forwarding the hunt group to the off-site number. Of course you'd need to make one hunt group for each user needing to be forwarded.

In terms of your email notification I think the problem is your SMTP domain setting. It's a little misleading. That should contain the IP address (or name) of your SMTP server. Additionally, if your internal DNS server also resolves public .com addresses for your domain you'll need to have an MX entry in your DNS server. Also be sure to allow SMTP relay from the NBX's IP address.

bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

yes, since phantom extensions have no MAC address, calls cannot be forwarded since the NBX architecture is based on phones having a MAC address.

For offsite notification, ensure that it is turned on the system in two places:

1. enable it in NBX Messaging/configure/offsite notification.

2.Enable it in the users Class of Service

greg24
Regular Advisor

Would a ATA adapter count as a phone? I have one that has never been used.

I will change the smtp domain to the ip of my exchange server. I already set it up to accept messages from the NBX ip address. It would be nice for 3Com to add a test ip settings menu where a person could do a ping by name to see if networking was setup correctly.

Thanks,

greg24
Regular Advisor

My SMTP Domain Name is the ip address of my exchange server. Since it is the IP address it should not be doing a DNS lookup, howerver there is a mx record for the email server in the server. Should hostname be just the name or a fully qualified domain name?

I have enabled offsite notification in both NBX Messaging/configure/offsite notification and the users Class of Service. My exchange server can ping the NBX and has been configured to accept all email from the NBX's ip address.

I call my extension and leave a voicemail. I did not get an email saying I have a voicemail.

My settings are:

Enable offsite notification for all messages

Notification method: email

email address: gwhite@xyz.com

attempt interval: 5 minutes

Thanks,

merlin_1
Super Advisor

3KB # 2.0.88348627.3458295

Start here

bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

if you go into http://ip_address of nbx/htfs0/NBossLog.txt.. look for SMTP errors or DNS errors .. post them here ..that should tell us what is going on... if not a trace is needed.

greg24
Regular Advisor

Apparently SMTP Domain Name needs to be a dns name and not an ip address. Once I got dns resolving working it email started to fly.

Thanks,