1753731 Members
4877 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: sip questions

greg24
Regular Advisor

sip questions

I know that the 3Com v5000 I have can have SIP enabled so the I can connect SIP phones to it.  Can the NBX handle an incoming and outgoing SIP line?  I believe they would deliver SIP over a T1 line that would be installed.  Basically I have a very expensive ISDN Pri that I want to get rid off and the companies I have contacted told me that while they can provide an ISDN Pri a SIP solution would be much cheaper.  So can I dump my ISDN Pri and go SIP?  Will have I have to enable SIP on the NBX?

I realize that I will have to give each phone a static IP and I will lose all voicemail and prompts if I convert the NBX to SIP.  Is there anything else I should be aware of?  I hope I don't have to enable SIP internally to get SIP externally, but if I do the cost savings might be worth it.  The NBX has 256 MB of RAM, memory upgrade installed (402,649,088 byte), 92 phones, 12 fax machines, and is running 6.5.22 P3.

3 REPLIES 3
merlin215
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately SIP soft trunks are not supported . Only TDM type circuits like T1 or PRI . 

greg24
Regular Advisor

OK, so I am stuck with an ISDN Pri until I replace the nbx.  :(

Thank you for the quick reply.

merlin215
Valued Contributor

Sorry but yes thats true ..