1753494 Members
5065 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: system failure on

LoweryLaw
Occasional Contributor

system failure on

I have taken over as the phone guy at our lawfirm and have been working with a 3com NBX system.  We have been experiencing a total system failure in which our phones go down.  I have been instructed to pull the even logs for the NBX system to see what is the cause of the failure but I do not know how to do it.  I am unsure if you can do this thru the GUI inerface on the NBX system or if you have to go thru the hyper terminal to do this.  I have heard that it may take days to download the logs and that during that time the phones are not operational is that the case?  Or am I way off track?  I need advise please! we run the 3102 business phones and our 3com NBX system I beleive is the V3000 or similar series. 

7 REPLIES 7
merlin_1
Super Advisor

When an NBX system " goes down or crashes " it generally means no dial tone which can be caused by a host of reasons from the network to the NBX .

What kind of NBX ? On the front of the NBX there should be a part number like 3C10XXX

What kind of telco lines ? Digital ? PRI or T1 ?

Analog ?

What version of Code ? On the main browser page prior to logging in it should tell you .

How many tels ? I see 3102 type tels but how many and are there any other types ?

All on the same subnet ?

Are you running our latest 6.5 code in SIP mode ? We can run in SIP mode in 6.5 and allow other devices that talk SIP to be used 

Depending on the size of the logs , the NBX Event logs are zipped up  at the time of the download automatically and it takes anywhere from a minute to max about 15 on a system with a lot of errors writing to them to save them as the system prompts you to save them . Usually a few minutes and they are good to go . A hyperterm will allow you to type in a small i and see if any tasks are suspended and determine your next course of action . If anything is suspended , it would probably mean an older code being run but in our latest 6.5.22 release , I have heard of a few systems going down but no tasks suspended . You should open a case and talk to one of our engineers . We can instruct you on the best procedures as well . But in the meantime a hyperterm and the NBoss logs would be a start , and also to make sure that the code is current and the type of system questions are very important as well .

This message was edited by merlin on 1-14-10 @ 1:28 PM
bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

To pull the event logs, log into Netset as the administrator, go to

Network Management/Event Logging. .then click on "Download Logs"

This will tar up the logs and ask you where you want to put the file. The system can still take calls during this time. Also, it should only take minutes, not hours/days.

A word of caution... quit frequently these logs are not enough to get to root cause. You should attach a console to your NBX and start logging the console output also

LoweryLaw
Occasional Contributor

Here is the info you requested

NBX model 3C10600A

Running 7 PRI digital cards

Version of code is R6_0_40

We have about 120 phones or so

All on the same subnet

As for running the 6.5 code in SIP I beleive we are not simply becuase we do not have SIP connectivity at the present time everything is running thru PSTN currently. 

I am not a phone guy or an expert at phone systems but over the past three months I have been learning.  After navigating thur the NBX system I can tell there has not been an upgrade for sometime could this be the issue? I will attempt to download the event logs but even if I review them I am not sure what I am looking for? Thank you for your advice if there is anything more I need to know or should do please advise. 

merlin_1
Super Advisor

Upgrade to R6.0.63 from R6.0.40 . That will be a start .

LoweryLaw
Occasional Contributor

I am going to pull the logs today.  In the NBX utility there are event logs for admin and then upglogs it apprears these are updated in real time.  It appears these logs are not what I am looking for and I am not quite sure what I am looking for in these logs but you mention in the hyperterm that I can type in a small i and see if any task are suspended....so how do I actually do this in the hperterm? you also mention Nboss logs what how and where do I pull these?

LoweryLaw
Occasional Contributor

I am going to pull the logs today.  In the NBX utility there are event logs for admin and then upglogs it apprears these are updated in real time.  It appears these logs are not what I am looking for and I am not quite sure what I am looking for in these logs but you mention in the hyperterm that I can type in a small i and see if any task are suspended....so how do I actually do this in the hperterm? you also mention Nboss logs what how and where do I pull these?

bosoxfan_1
Super Advisor

N

hi. When you download the logs that are mentioned above, you will get the NBossLogs in that tar file.

To attach a console to the NBX,Using a standard computer serial cable (9-pin male to 9-pin female),Connect the female end of the cable to an available serial port on the

4. configure the connection as follows:

5. When connected, you can do the "i" command and look at the status of the tasks. See if any suspended. Note that the "debugger" task is suspended in 6.5 and that is not an issue.

Emulation VT100

Baud Rate 9600

Data bits 8

Parity None

Stop bits 1

Flow control None

Start the terminal emulation software and create a new connection. .

This message was edited by bosoxfan on 1-18-10 @ 1:35 PM