1745788 Members
3912 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Cygwin

raybrindley
Advisor

Cygwin

I recently upgraded to Vista and have not been able to get the Cygwin to run (blue screen manager for IP Messaging) is there anything special I need to do to get it working on Vista?

8 REPLIES 8
Booda88
Occasional Advisor

No. I have only seen 1 person get it to run on Vista and they had to make some changes on the Vista side of the application and had to run the laptop in some certain mode. It generally does not run on Vista.

Craig Cuillard

Senior Field System Engineer

North America Services, GSO

3Com Corporation

In Thoroughness is Satisfaction
Craig Cuillard

Senior Field System Engineer

North America Services, GSO

3Com Corporation

In Thoroughness is Satisfaction
morcman

You can use WinAxe on Vista for blue gui access. I have not been able to get Cygwin to run on my laptop so I use WinAxe

merlin_1
Super Advisor
SHANEADAMS
Occasional Advisor

I have Cygwin/Blue GUI running successfully on my Vista Laptop, been working consistently since last year. I have an entire write-up and the packages/fonts required all in a zip file with step by step instructions - can definitely send to you if you like.

Regards,

Shane Adams

KME Systems

IanTomkins
Advisor

I realise this is an old post but I thought the info might be useful

The only significant thing that the 3com cygwin install provides is a font that most X servers wont have installed by default. Once you have that installed and working you can use the xserver of your choice, in my case Xming on windows or a standard linux desktop.

The font file is called apprfont.pcf and needs to be placed into the fonts/misc folder for your X server, if you are using Xming this is going to be something like this:
C:\Program Files\Xming\fonts\misc
Once there you will need to run mkfontscale to update the fonts.scale file.

To make life easy I have put together a copy of the font file with a batch file that runs the relevant mkfontscale commands.

This zip file simply needs to be unzipped directly into the C:\Program Files\Xming. Once that is done run the addfont.bat file to perform the mkfontscale commands.

The zip file is available here: http://vcxforum.org/index.php?topic=6.0

Justin_Goldberg
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to change the monitoring app's font size, or the xterm font size?

chechad

Can i run Cygwin on Windows 7 to install VCX auto attendant message on Version 7

SHANEADAMS
Occasional Advisor

All,

This is an older post, but I came across this again and wanted to let you know that there's a much easier solution than using Cygwin. 

Instead, use Xming.  Works quite well on Vista and Windows 7, all you have to do is ensure you have the proper font file in a directory on your local PC, and you're all set!

Once you launch Xming, you can use PuTTY to SSH as normal, and launch the blue gui from there.