IP Telephony - VCX
1748165 Members
3790 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Where is the incoming call routing/mapping e.g. 555-555-5555 goes to ext 1234?

scheidel21
Occasional Contributor

Where is the incoming call routing/mapping e.g. 555-555-5555 goes to ext 1234?

I inherited a VCX phone system and I am not finding it very intuitive, and unfortunately I'm going in blind without someone to show me the ropes. I've managed to find some of the various components, but not everything I am looking for. We had an HP contract that expired mid-april, prior the expiration I contacted support but they were pretty much useless in being able to provide answers. I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me to where it is I'd be forver greatful and treat you to a coffee if I ever run into you.

--Alex

3 REPLIES 3
MJslasheradmin

Re: Where is the incoming call routing/mapping e.g. 555-555-5555 goes to ext 1234?

iIf you are still having issues and need some help, please reach out to me. I can show you how to make these basic Admin changes. mbarnett@frgi.com 

Gareth.Coley
Advisor

Incoming translations are usually done on the media gateway.  If you take a look at yor "Route Plans List" (Directory/Route Pans/Route Plans), you should see a line with the 9* pattern (assuming you use a 9 for an outside line).  Make a note of the Route listed to the left and navigate to "Routes" on the tab at the top of the page.  Once there find the route from the previous section and click on "Endpoint".  This will show you your external gateway address.  All you will need to do then is to navigate to the gateway via http and look at the translations on the gateway, you will probably be looking for "Dest Number TEL - > IP".  Do not be suprised if you only see translations for the last 4 or 6 digits as many telcos will only present those digits to customer equipment.

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Coley is correct. Typically the best practice is to use what the Telco provides to you for a user's extension number. In the gateway, Tel to IP will route the call to the VCX. If there is no one to one mapping between the provided DID extension to a user's extension you can use a User mode Number Translation to steer the call to the extension that it needs to go to.

Sites will sometimes decouple an inbound DID and internal extension to control access from an external caller. Think a classroom at a school.
I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support