1753384 Members
5870 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Why do my gateways change IP address

soxcamp12
Contributor

Why do my gateways change IP address

I've noticed that sometimes when I reboot a gateway, 7111, 7122 that sometimes it will change ip address to one in my DHCP scope, even though I have DHCP client disabled. Does anyone know why?

Cheers, Soxcamp
Cheers, Soxcamp
8 REPLIES 8
alanapr
Advisor

The only time I've seen this happen is when the DHCP server is responding to bootp requests as well ad DHCP. When you disable the DHCP client, this does not disable the bootp client to do this you need to add the following to the bottom of your ini file for the gateway

bootpselectiveenable=1

dhcpenable=0

push the file backup on to the gateway.

You can also make this change via the AdminPage

eg http://x.x.x.x/AdminPage

the settings are not listed you'll need to enter them at the top of the page, if you leave the value box empty and hit apply it will report back the current value.

Note: when you pull the ini file from the unit the bootpselectiveenable is not shown as this is a hardware settings according to support and not a gateway parameter.

good luck

Booda88
Occasional Advisor

Be very cautious when you go into that page Alanapr recommended. You are making ini file changes without any verification and can actually bring down your gateway.

In Thoroughness is Satisfaction

This message was edited by Booda88 on 1-29-09 @ 9:27 AM
Craig Cuillard

Senior Field System Engineer

North America Services, GSO

3Com Corporation

In Thoroughness is Satisfaction
Ed Holt
Regular Advisor

Sox,

You could make a reservation in your DHCP scope for your gateway so that if it does DCHP it always gets the same IP. That will insure that the IP is not different that the IP you specified in your VCX database.This will also cover you if you upgrade the code on the gateways because I have noticed that when you do that it can set it back to use DHCP.

This message was edited by vcxguru68 on 2-2-09 @ 5:06 PM
3Com Certified IP Telephony VCX/NBX Expert CCNA
adiltaleb
Advisor

I have occurre the same problem i have V7122 with static ip address and if get request an change address from local pool dhcp.

when i have verify the config, i find that's the enable multiple ip parameter was enabled and it's generet a ramdom request to get a new ip address for you on http://yougwuipadd/AdminPage, scrol the parameter to find EnabledMultipleIP and it's must be set to 0.

and you can setup a static reservation on you dhcp.

good luck

Certified 3Com Enterprise LAN Exper/ IP Telephony VCX Expert
Justin_Goldberg
Valued Contributor

Does this require 5.x os? It seems 4.8 gateways don't have these options.
John_Katzmaier
Valued Contributor

Hi,

No, those options do not require 5.x gateway software. They were available via the AdminPage on a gateway with 4.80A.032 software. The options may not appear in the list on the AdminPage, but you can enter them directly in the Parameter Name field in the ini Parameters section of the AdminPage. To get the current value of the parameter without changing it, leave the Enter Value field blank and click the Apply New Value button.

Justin_Goldberg
Valued Contributor

John,

Thanks for replying.

The gateway is running 4.80A.032

I did as you suggested, and get this response,

Parameter Name: BOOTPSELECTIVEENABLE
The Value is invalid:
Parameter Current Value: 0
Parameter Description:Configures board so will only accept BootP replies from AudioCodes proprietary BootP-TFTP Software.

Parameter Name: BOOTPSELECTIVEENABLE
Parameter New Value:1
Parameter Description:Configures board so will only accept BootP replies from AudioCodes proprietary BootP-TFTP Software.

It's a 3com 4500 switch doing dhcp, and I'm not sure how to dhcp reservations on it.

John_Katzmaier
Valued Contributor

Hi,

You're welcome. You changed that value to 1 to enable it. Next, burn the configuration of the gateway to flash. The next time the gateway is reset or looses power it should not request nor accept an IP address via DHCP from your switch.

If you want to determine how to configure the switch to specifically reserve an IP address via DHCP for the gateway, then I suggest either consulting the switch documentation, the HP technical support knowledge base, or opening a technical support case on the switch.