IT Operations Management (ITOM)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Evolve to OMi: How to keep your OM policy investment + when to use OMi Management Packs

Ian_Bromehead ‎06-04-2015 09:54 PM - edited ‎06-12-2015 04:50 AM

Evolve to OMi: How to keep your OM policy investment + when to use OMi Management Packs

Blog created by Volker Gaertner., HP Software R&D.

In a previous post, In a previous post, I explained why it makes sense for customers using HP Operations Manager (HPOM) for Windows, HP-UX, Solaris or Linux to move to HP Operations Manager i (OMi).  I also provided an overview of the recommended technical steps to take, and I mentioned that you can import and reuse existing HPOM policies in OMi.

Today, I want to have a closer look at policy reuse.

Clearly, policies play an important role in HPOM. You might have created hundreds of policies already, and it would be a shame if you would have to start over again in OMi, defining thresholds, log file locations, process names, SNMP MIB details, etc., etc. But that’s not necessary. As OMi uses the same Operations Agent as HPOM, it’s very easy to preserve the investment in your HPOM policies.

In this post, I will show how you can import your policies using the OMi ConfigExchange command-line interface (CLI) and configure them in OMi. For this example, I use HPOM for Windows and OMi on Windows, but the steps for other platforms are very similar and fully documented in the Operations Bridge Evolution Guide, if you need the details.

Importing policies

First, you export your policies using the normal HPOM policy export tools that you are probably already familiar with:

• ovpmutil — for HPOM for Windows
  • opcpolicy — for HPOM for Unix/Solaris/Linux

You typically will download a policy group and its sub-groups in one operation. For example, let’s assume you put all the policies that are used to monitor the ACME IT environment in a policy group called ACME and policy groups below.

1. On the HPOM for Windows server, run this command to export all those policies by specifying the ACME policy group:

ovpmutil cfg pol dnl C:\ /p ACME /instrum

Note that the /instrum option downloads all necessary instrumentation files as well.

2.  Copy the C:\ACME directory and its contents to the C:\ directory on the OMi server

3.  Then on the OMi server, run this command to upload the policies:

ConfigExchange -user admin –pw admin -uploadOM -i C:\ACME

That’s it. The policies are now available in OMi, in the same group hierarchy as on HPOM (Figure 1).

Fig. 1: Sample group hierarchy of policies in OMi.

Assign & Deploy “Aspects”

Theoretically, you could now go ahead and assign and deploy them from OMi to individual nodes. But that would be old-style, node-based monitoring.

In OMi, you assign policies using a slightly different process. Actually, you don’t assign policies at all. You assign so-called “aspects”. As the word suggests, an aspect represents a certain aspect of a Configuration Item, like its performance or its availability. For example, you group all policies responsible for the performance monitoring into a “performance” aspect.

(Creating and assigning aspects is very easy to do. See the OMi tutorial, “How to create an aspect containing a group of policy templates”.)

When you assign this aspect to a corresponding CI, it starts the policy deployment.

“OK,” you say, “but what about parameterization, one of OMi’s advantages compared to traditional HPOM. How do I make use of that?” I’m so glad you asked.

Add Parameters

Well, let’s assume you have used several storage policies on HPOM, all with different thresholds. Instead of importing all of them, you import just one and then add an OMi parameter to it for the threshold. (For more information, check out the OMi tutorial “How to add a parameter to a policy template”.)

When assigning an aspect (that contains such a policy with a parameter), you then decide whether you want to use the default parameter/threshold value or another value, and you can easily tune the monitoring afterwards, just by editing the parameter in the assignment UI.

So it’s quite simple to add parameters to your existing policies, and to group them into aspects. (Complete details are in the Operations Bridge Evolution Guide.) Nevertheless, if you want to use parameters extensively for hundreds of policies, you might have some work ahead of you — so before you spend that effort, maybe take a look at the available OMi Management packs…

Why you should consider using OMi Management Packs, even if you have never used HPOM SPIs in the past

Simply put, OMi Management Packs (MPs) are for OMi what Smart Plug-ins (SPIs) are for HPOM:  Pre-packaged, ready-to-go solutions to manage a certain application.

But that’s not the full truth. MPs provide a lot more value than SPIs. Why?

The biggest reason is that they use all the OMi features. Take parameterization, for instance. All the MPs provide parameterized policies, which are easy to tune. So maybe in the past you decided not to use an HPOM SPI because if was difficult to understand, difficult to tune and you were not sure what would happen to your customizations when a new SPI version is released? Well, aspects and parameters were introduced in OMi exactly to address those problems. The management pack aspects hide the complexity. Parameters only expose those thresholds that need to be changed and there is no need to create policy copies any more for customizations.

Furthermore, Management Pack policies set Configuration Item hints and Event Type Indicator hints that are used by advanced OMi features to relate the events to the correct CIs and to correlate cause and symptom events.

Of course, Management Packs also collect key metrics and provide graphs and tools like SPIs. They even provide reports for Service Health Reporter.

So whenever there is an HP or Partner Management Pack available for the infrastructure or application that you want to monitor, you should have a closer look.

Check out the list of available Management Packs

The OMi Management Pack for Microsoft IIS, OMi Management Pack for Apache Web Server and OMi Management Pack for Infrastructure come for free and are officially supported by HP support. There are also more than 40 community-supported OMi Management Packs + Management Packs provided by HP Partners.

Find the list of all Management Packs on HP Live Network.

Tip: Use the content type filter to show the different types of Management Packs:

• HP Community — provided free by HP, not supported via HP Software Support
  • HP Standard — provided free by HP, supported via HP Software Support
  • HP Premium — provided by HP for an additional fee, supported via HP Software Support
  • Gold/Silver Partner — provided and supported by an HP Partner for an additional fee
  • Community — provided free by someone else in the community, not supported via HP Software Support

And if you want to be notified when a new management pack is released, then subscribe to OpsBridge Announcements. Go to https://hpln.hp.com/group/operations-bridge, scroll down to the bottom of the page and subscribe to all associated community announcements:

Learn more about Operations Manager and Operations Manager i here.

You can also download trials of the software to experience them for yourself.

The OM-to-Opsbridge evolution program including license exchange details is now live. Search on the tag OM2OpsBridge to find blogs discussing this program and evolution to OpsBridge.
Search on OMiContent for other blogs on management packs and connectors.

We are pleased to announce the HP BSM Integration for BMC Impact Manager by Comtrade, version 1.1. The HP BSM Integration for BMC Impact Manager by Comtrade enables you to establish a link between BMC Impact Manager and HP Operations Manager i 10 (OMi).  

The key features of this release are:   

• Support of Operations Manager i 10 and BSM Connector 10    
  • Self-discovery  

The installation package and the integration guide are available at http://www.comtrade.com/bmc-integration/

We are also pleased to announce the availability of yet more extensions to our fast growing catalogue of management tools, the lightweight OMi Management Pack for Docker has been released on HP-LN:

https://hpln.hp.com/contentoffering/omi-management-pack-docker

We are now happy to announce the availability a new connector for HP Helion.
You can find it for download on HPLN at https://hpln.hp.com/contentoffering/bsm-connector-hp-helion-monasca,

Based on Monasca the OpenStack monitoring tool and available independently from Helion, but will be a key part of the Helion offering in fal 2015l. With this HP Helion Monasca connector we are well prepared in advance for integrating HP Helion monitoring with OMi.

• A demo of the Monasca connector is available in the demo environment already, it is a recorded and clickable demo.
  • It is community supported release, right now we don’t plan any enablement trainings for it. We can change this if there is a significant request for it.

About the Author

Ian_Bromehead

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Apr 18, 2017
Houston, TX
HPE Tech Days - 2017
Follow a group of tech bloggers for a new HPE Tech Day, a full day of sessions about how to create a hybrid IT, from hyperconverged to Composable Infr...
Read more
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event