IT Operations Management (ITOM)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HPOM users – here is why and how to move to OMi

VolkerGaertner ‎05-20-2015 09:03 AM - edited ‎05-20-2015 11:37 AM

Operators who work to keep an increasingly complex IT environment running every day need easy access to as much topology, metric and event data as possible. It’s become essential to bring together into a single view a greater variety of data sources than ever.

Therefore many customers use Operations Manager i (OMi) today as their Operations Bridge, with a modern user interface, advanced Topology-Based and Stream-Based Event Correlation (TBEC and SBEC) and customizable dashboards in a single pane of glass.

But this can be a technically challenging feat to accomplish, and administrators increasingly require automated means to configure and tune the monitoring of the IT environment.

That’s why HP introduced the Monitoring Automation feature in Operations Manager i (OMi) 9.20, which allowed it to take over agent configuration and management that to that date had to be done in HP Operations Manager.

However, several features present in HPOM were still missing from OMi, such as agent health checks, an external instruction text interface, and others.

OMi 10: Operations Manager’s successor

But now with the introduction of OMi 10, HP has released the first version intended to replace HPOM for Windows, HP-UX, Solaris or Linux.

Although there is no need to immediately move to OMi, it can be considered the successor of HPOM and I think the benefits of its additional features make a compelling case to make the move.

How is OMi so much better? You can group the most important advantages into two categories:

1. Improved operator workflow
  2. Advanced monitoring configuration concept that supports easy tuning and automation.

How OMi improves operator effectiveness

For an operator who has to keep the IT environment running every day, OMi provides:

• A modern, web-based user interface
  • Customizable workspaces and dashboards that allow quickly filtering events and focusing on the critical problems at hand
  • Visualization of multiple Key Performance Indicators (instead of just one event status) of affected Configuration Item (CI) and its neighbors.
  • Events that are automatically assigned to the right operator group
  • Events that are automatically prioritized based on business impact
  • Events that are marked as symptoms and cause events by OMis topology event correlation
  • Quick access to context sensitive actions to analyze and solve a problem

Fig. 1: A customized workspace page

These are just a few examples of the features that make the operator in OMi much more effective.

Simplify monitoring administration

OMi also offers great benefits for monitoring administrators, who have to configure the monitoring of the IT environment.

OMi has introduced the concept of parameterization for Operations Agent policies, which dramatically simplifies the tuning of the monitoring. Tuning a threshold on HPOM usually involves contacting the HPOM Administrator, who has to find the corresponding policy, then understand the policy logic, find the threshold, then create a copy of the policy with a modified threshold and deploy it to that server. You end up with multiple policy copies.

In OMi, it’s as simple as this: the person that wants to change the threshold for one of his applications can do it himself. Just open the assignments for the application CI, change the threshold parameter, and click OK. That’s it — OMi takes care of the rest.

Additionally, the assignment of monitoring can be automated with rules that allow you to do things like, automatically monitor all Weblogic Servers used by the online store with specific thresholds.

If that’s not enough to interest you, there are additional benefits:

• Fine-grained Health indicators
  • Stream-based event correlation
  • Gamification features,
  • BSM Connectors that allows integrating 3rd party products
  • Management Pack Dev Kit (a Management Pack is comparable to a Smart Plug-in in HPOM) so you can create monitoring for a custom application in a few hours

Okay, I’ll stop there for now — if I haven’t convinced you so far, chances are I never will ;)

What it takes to make the move

So, are you thinking about making the move to OMi?

The Operations Bridge Evolution Guide explains everything you need to know about how to evolve an HP Operations Manager deployment so that HPOM agents and operators, as well as all kinds of integrations, are shifted from HPOM to OMi.

It begins with a description of how to transition to OMi in phases while adding value to the overall solution in each phase (see Figure 1; the blue text in the diagram highlights the value).

Fig. 2: Phased transition model for upgrading to OMi 10 from Operations Manager

The guide then goes deeper and provides guidance for each phase, detailed HPOM-OMi comparison tables and even the specific tools and command line calls you will use to move data over to OMi.

Transition at your own pace

The best news is that you can benefit from the new Operator UI while still using HPOM. We’ve made it so there’s no technical reason to wait; you can get started and then at your own pace move over the monitoring configuration to OMi (by importing your existing HPOM policies) and switch your agents step-by-step.

In future blog posts I will go into more depth to cover details such as:

• What you should do with old OM policies, how to reuse them and whether to use Management packs
  • How to manage Operations agents in OMi and connect your potentially hundreds of agents to OMi

Your turn: What do you want to know?

But if you’re a long-time user of HPOM, I would love to find out what technical questions you have about making the jump to OMi. Simply post a comment below and I will try to address it in an upcoming blog post.

In the meantime, have a look at these resources:

HP Discover Las Vegas 2015 is just around the corner, starting June 2nd. We have many announcements, sessions, demonstration booths for you to see and learn about our new exciting innovations. Please register early to avoid disappointment, our HP OpsBridge related sessions are

The OM2Opsbridge program including license exchange details is now live. Search on the tag OM2OpsB to find blogs discussing this program and evolution to OpsBridge.

We are pleased to announce the HP BSM Integration for BMC Impact Manager by Comtrade, version 1.1. The HP BSM Integration for BMC Impact Manager by Comtrade enables you to establish a link between BMC Impact Manager and HP Operations Manager i 10 (OMi).  

The key features of this release are:    

• Support of Operations Manager i 10 and BSM Connector 10    
  • Self-discovery  

The installation package and the integration guide are available at http://www.comtrade.com/bmc-integration/

We are also pleased to announce the availability of yet another extension to our fast growing catalogue of management tools, the lightweight OMi Management Pack for Docker has been released on HP-LN:

https://hpln.hp.com/contentoffering/omi-management-pack-docker

About the Author

VolkerGaertner

Comments
wlinn
on ‎03-29-2016 08:52 AM

Dog and Pony show, simply put, I do not see value in the new product, on my fouth project where it is being installed, moving from OMU, OMW or OML, the product just does not work. We have issues seeing messages, installing MP, even after installing agents, getting the CI to show up in the console.  

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Apr 18, 2017
Houston, TX
HPE Tech Days - 2017
Follow a group of tech bloggers for a new HPE Tech Day, a full day of sessions about how to create a hybrid IT, from hyperconverged to Composable Infr...
Read more
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event