IT Operations Management (ITOM)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Knock Knock? Who’s there? Automating fulfillment from the cloud is not a joke… It’s reality!

collinchau on ‎09-01-2014 12:09 AM ‎01-02-2017 08:46 PM kimlock

Written by Shay Wissotzky Cohen (HPSW Functional Architect)  and Lucian Teodor Revnic (HPSW Functional Architect)

Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myth.”(Joseph Campbell). For a lot of people, automated fulfillment from the cloud is already a dream that came true.

Automated service fulfillment saves hundreds and even thousands work hours for your IT by automating all the repeated and known requests from your customers (internal and external). It makes even simple requests like requesting backups or requesting permissions, a self-paced process that takes minutes instead of hours or days that traditionally required waiting for human intervention. We have customers who are proving the value of this every day by saving hundreds and thousands of working hours. Implementing this (technology wise) is relatively easy when we talk about on-premise solutions.

But IT is changing these days and organizations are starting to move their Service Management to a SaaS-based ITSM systems. As a result, you may be asking these questions: What will I use to automate requests? How can I do it in a secured way? What if I already have some automations? Keep reading this blog to find out.

What you can automate?

20130128_THEATER_CONCRETE_TABLET_MAN_020.jpgTo begin with, I recommend that you begin by learning more about how you can accelerate your IT automation, understand the value of automated fulfillment, and learn how to begin. We discussed these topics in this post: Clear the queue! Accelerate your service request fulfillment with IT process automation.

And to get you started, here are some use cases I can share with you. We are seeing customers who automate simple stuff like:

-  Request for permissions or access

-  Request for mailboxes

-  Database changes

-  Provision a single VM

There are also more complicated stuff that you can consider - mostly from Change Requests:

-  Cellular customer request to do changes on their subscription like mobilize to another provider

-  Buildup a new site’s network upon change request and tear it down later on

-  Provision virtual desktops for agents across multiple sites

-  Etc.

How do I do this, when my ITSM is in the cloud?

G8658097032008_JPGHighres_96dpi_800x600.pngWhat do you do when your ITSM is in the cloud? This is the big challenge today, and as I said it is no longer a dream it is reality. For customers who have most or all of their infrastructure and applications on-premise (i.e. not on the cloud), addressing this challenge requires a secure way to reach it from the cloud. This is perhaps possible in the form of a bridge component. For customers who have all or some of their infrastructure and applications running in the cloud, addressing this challenge will require mature integrations to those cloud providers in addition to what was mentioned before for the on-premise systems. In both cases the automation framework will have to be scalable and compliant to security standards.

Another important challenge is regarding the automations themselves, meaning that if I am one of those lucky ones who already have automations, will I be able to reuse them when my company moves to the cloud? In some the answer is “yes” in some it is “no”, the question is what the relationship will be.

What can we offer?

After understanding the challenges I want to focus on the “how”. In the HP Software Automation and Cloud portfolio we have HP Operations Orchestration (OO) which is a lead enterprise ready, (and yet not a robust product) capable for various automation use cases like IT Process Automation, Cloud Automation, Run Book Automation and such. It allows you to orchestrate and automate your processes (e.g. service fulfillment) across various environments: in the cloud or onpremise, in large scale, enabled by its architecture and the huge amount of content which comes with it OOTB (over 80 integrations, wizards to extend, etc.). One of the main values of HP OO is that users today have automations ready, and OO can use them and orchestrate them, using the various ways OO is capable to integrate and run them. .

HP OO also has a Community Edition (OOCE) which allows you to have a free copy with limitations on the amount of automation you run monthly. This edition also comes with some of the OOTB content, plus you can also use Community Content

Knockknock1.pngHere is an example of what the HP OO workflow looks like, using only OOCE content for the simple scenario of request a backup of a server:

And since we are talking on having ITSM solution on the cloud, the HP Service Portfolio Management portfolio also offers HP Service Anywhere– an ITSM SaaS-based product who lets you offer your users an intuitive helpdesk from everywhere in the world. HP Service Anywhere now includes a new awesome integration with HP OO which actually answers all the challenges mentioned above and allows you to automate your fulfillment in a secured and seamless way to the business personas and end users. This is all possible while keeping the control on the actions in the automation teams and the SMEs. You can learn more in the HP Service Anywhere manuals.

What’s next? Automatic Remediation!

As a graduate of the class of Automatic Fulfillment, the next step can be also automatic handling of events in your IT infrastructure that case service outages. HP OO can be leveraged here as well.

The Basic use case is: Monitoring system triggers HP OO flow that will collect diagnostic information from a server/application/device, open an Incident in HP Service Anywhere and update the Incident with the collected information.

HP Operations Orchestration Community Edition includes in it the Remediation Content Pack which holds inside flows for sever use cases. Those flows can be leveraged to scenarios like the above example. The flow below is an example of how you can do it:

Knockknock2.png

The steps communicating with HP Service Anywhere were taken from the community content for HP Service Anywhere.

How do I get the tools?

• HP Service Anywhere – try it now.
  • HP Operations Orchestration- www.hp.com/go/oo In this page you can also read there on how other customers are benefiting from HP OO.
  • Need HP OO Content? You can look it up in the community content (free)

Now that you know IT orchestration can lead to higher IT service quality, and more innovative service, download this toolkit today to learn just how big these service centric benefits can be. Take action and get started today!

You can also join us on HP Automation and Cloud Management Community. A place where you can share your thoughts and ideas, and see what others are saying about IT automation and cloud management. Your voice deserves to be heard by a community that matters, and where practitioners go to be heard.

Q4 Campaign Banner.jpg

About the Author

collinchau

Lending 20 years of IT market expertise across 5 continents, for defining moments as an innovation adoption change agent.

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Apr 18, 2017
Houston, TX
HPE Tech Days - 2017
Follow a group of tech bloggers for a new HPE Tech Day, a full day of sessions about how to create a hybrid IT, from hyperconverged to Composable Infr...
Read more
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event