IT Operations Management (ITOM)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Node Manager (NNMi) 10.00 - Making a perfect 10!

TapanS ‎10-10-2014 02:58 AM - edited ‎08-09-2016 03:17 PM

It's been almost two months since the HPE Network Node Manager i Software (NNMi) version 10.00 network management software was released. As is common with any new software release, practitioners and consultants have some common questions. These questions and queries from their clients include:

• What are the new features and functions in NNMi version 10.00?
  • Why should they install or upgrade to NNMi 10.00?

These questions inspired me to write my own views on Top 10 “What’s New” functionalities of NNMi 10.00 to answer them.

For those who are new to “NNMi” – it is an industry-leading solution from HPE Software for network fault, performance and advanced network service monitoring!

You can download Network Node Manager i here to experience it for yourself.

Let’s look at the new feature sets of Network Node Manager i 10.00 that I think can make a big difference to you.

1.  Cool and Useful – Dashboards 

Dashboards.pngNew dashboards are the main highlights of NNMi 10.00! They provide an “Ease of Access” to the performance data polled and collected by NNMi and the Performance Smart Plug-Ins (iSPIs). In addition to the Overview dashboards, dashboards can also be launched in context for network topology – that is, a dashboard can be launched for a specific network device or for a site or a group of interfaces/links. Fresh looking UI widgets provide flexibility in choosing various possible types of data representation (area, bar, line and scattered graphs). Drill-down functions on some of the dashboard panels provide context-sensitive detailed views of various types of entities such as nodes, interfaces, traffic applications, and QA probes. 

2.  An entry into the world of “V” - Network Virtualization

chassis_model.pngWith enhanced Spiral Discovery and chassis modelling, NNMi now has the ability to show stacked switches and modules—all hosted in a single chassis in the maps. With capabilities like intra-chassis and Inter-Switch Link (ISL) connectivity in topology maps, Juniper QFabric like next-generation switching architectures can be represented very effectively in the maps. NIC teaming (bonding) and Link Aggregation (LAG) interfaces are represented uniquely on the maps.

Cisco Nexus 5Ks and 7Ks with Virtual Device Contexts (VDCs) are presented appropriately on the map – with multiple logical devices sharing the same physical hardware.

Nexus_5k.png

3.  Necessity and not a luxury! - Outage Management

How many times have your clients asked for scheduled maintenance of network devices and links within the NNMi application? Indeed, scheduled maintenance has become a necessity in today’s world. With the Outage Management capabilities in version 10, NNMi fills this gap by enabling users to not poll and not alert devices during schedule maintenance. NNMi then provides the control to treat these devices as Available (Default behavior) or Unavailable during the scheduled maintenance. On top of this, NNMi also provides historical adjustments of missed scheduled outages – that is, an outage did happen but was not entered in NNMi so users can perform that adjustment by configuring outages for “history”.

4.  Refreshed UI – Maps

NG_Maps.png

The new icon styles and highlights make the maps look much more appealing. More importantly, one can add annotations on the map apart from the background images. This allows a portion or the entire map to be annotated based on the functions or physical locations (e.g., Racks, Wings in DC) of the devices. Overview panes, hierarchical or tree view maps, improved node group connectivity, and easier “Find Node” options in the maps make the whole experience of working with the UI maps much simpler.

5.  Concerned about downtime during failover? – well, not anymore

We have consistently heard from clients that they cannot afford to have SNMP trap downtime during the NNMi failover (when deployed in resilience). With a dedicated trap receiver daemon, NNMi 10.00 provides an answer to such frequent concerns. The trap receiver daemon runs separate from the NNMi’s jboss process and can buffer traps during failover to minimize trap loss. In an application failover setup of NNMi, it is virtually near-zero trap loss during failover, and for an OS level HA cluster setup (like Veritas, RHCS, MSFC), the downtime for traps will only be equal to the collective time it takes for virtual IP to move to a standby (“new” active) server and the time for the trap receiver daemon to start. The trap receiver stops after NNMi jboss and starts before jboss starts so as to minimize the trap loss.

6.  Are you an Automation buddy? – a new CLI framework for you

CLI.pngIf you are an automation aficionado or if you have clients pushing for automating all routine administration (configuration, seeding of devices etc.) activities, the new command line interface (CLI) framework in NNMi 10.00 has the capability to help you deliver. The new CLI framework includes command-based tools, common output formatting and batching that provides a powerful and consistent experience.

7.  A lot of your network gears need customized polling? – Look at the Custom Poller

Many times, customers face a situation in which devices like UPS, Firewalls, and Load balancers need to have certain KPIs polled. When these KPIs are not polled out-of-the-box by NNMi, one must use the Custom Poller. With 10.00, NNMi Custom Poller supports multiple MIB variables AND/OR expressions in a single collection thereby collecting relevant KPIs all in one-shot and reporting them together. With the addition of “Bulk” type collection, for very large scale SNMP tables, one can achieve the scale of 15 million records daily for "Bulk" collection (where a record can contain values for multiple OIDs from a single SNMP table entry). The NNMi MIB Browser also has a refreshed UI for better user experience.

8.  Tired of waiting for reports..? – They’re better and faster now

With a number of enhancements in the Network Performance Server (NPS) component of iSPI Performance for Metrics, reports are now faster and better in performance data visualization. This new Sybase engine has resulted in better query optimizations and hence faster reports. Features like Prompt Pages Split-off, Metrics (KPI) Picklist Selector and Cross Domain (Extension Pack) Reports have resulted in better user experience and faster report launch. CIFS support provides large scale file handling across systems and Flexible Scale Deployment (FSD) provides higher scale support through distribution of roles (ETL, BI, and Database) within NPS.

9.  Big fish – Higher Scale

With NNMi 10.00, the scale limit is pushed to 30k network devices (nodes) being managed from a single server. Along with that, the limit for configurable entities is increased. NNMi supports a maximum of 12000 node groups (6-level hierarchy), 1500 configured users, 40 simultaneous users, 2000 user groups, and 2000 security groups. Each user can belong to as many as 32 User Groups.

10.  Simple is better – A new product structure

New_Prod_Structure.pngAre you an expert in counting the licenses required for NNMi and the NNMi iSPIs? If not, let’s not worry about it as you don’t need to be one anymore! With NNMi 10.00, the simplified product license structure is enforced – all the entities are weighed at a node level. This means, that all you buy is NNMi Premium or NNMi Ultimate node licenses. For more on licenses, please contact the HP Sales Representative for your account.

With this richness of functionalities and simplification, don’t you think HPE NNMi has made a perfect “10”?

Want to learn more about our subsequent releases that include support for virtualized network devices?  Try our blog post or, better yet, let Balaji Venkatraman give you a personal tour.

Learn More

While this is only a representative list, there’s a lot more in store for you with NNMi 10.00.

About the Author

TapanS

Senior Solutions Consultant in HPE Software's Customer Assist organization - with overall 12 plus years of experience working in HP(E) Software's R&D organization. For past several years, I have been working as a customer facing R&D engineer with product expertise in Network Management area and have recently started working on Operations Bridge products. Primary activities involve assistance to field teams (Sales, Customer Success, Support, Professional Services): Technical assistance in product demos and POCs, Deployment consultancy, Product audit and best practice guidance, Assistance in Escalations and working with Product Management and R&D architects on translating customer feedback into relevant and appropriate product requirement (CR, ER, New Feature etc).

Comments
sri_bsm_cto
on ‎10-11-2014 01:55 PM

This is a very well written blog.  Very useful and insightful, and I am sure many users will benefit from the nuggets in it.

TapanS
on ‎10-13-2014 02:46 AM

Thank you, Srikanth!

Lars-Erik Folcke
on ‎10-14-2014 04:48 AM

Hi, 

I have a question around upgrading path from 9.2x to 10.0.

I can see in the manuals that it is possible to to an ordinary upgrade from 9.2x to 10.0, but is it also possible to do a side-by-side migration? My customer would like to install NNMi 10.0 + iSPI Perfromance Metrics 10.0 on two new seperate  servers and just export the data and config from NNMi 9.23 + ispi Perf Metric 9.23 and inport it in to the new 10.0 machines....

Kind regards, 

Lars-Erik

P.S Nice blog Tapan D.S

Lokesh,C
on ‎11-08-2014 06:10 AM

Nice blog Tapan. This will be a very helpful reference for all the customer facing teams dealing with NNMi 10.0

KeyN
on ‎02-04-2015 10:50 PM

Hi,

We have NNMi 9.2 version. Licensed for 300 devices. Do we have possibility to upgrade to 10.0?

Is there any cost?

Thank you!

K.

nrcrao
on ‎02-03-2016 02:43 AM

Hi Tapan,

Awesome article and you beautifully listed out the features.

Just a qucik question - Does NNMi v10 fall in Class 1 or Class 2 licensing model?

-Rama

ChandanaM
on ‎07-19-2016 07:08 AM

hi ,

Can I install NNMi on a server running  windows 2008 ? On which versions of windows , can i install NNMi 10.10 

BM01
on ‎08-17-2016 01:43 AM

I have a question, can i set the language to english at the NNMi1010 Linux server, so the browser allways use english ?

ManishSinghal
on ‎02-18-2017 07:14 AM

Please point me on some articles on how can plan NNMi deployment in Medium / Large enterprise environment with application failover capabilities. I plan to deploy all iSPIs of NNMi Ultimate along with NPS servers.

Please support.

Manish Singhal

singhalzi@gmail.com

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Apr 18, 2017
Houston, TX
HPE Tech Days - 2017
Follow a group of tech bloggers for a new HPE Tech Day, a full day of sessions about how to create a hybrid IT, from hyperconverged to Composable Infr...
Read more
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event