IT Operations Management (ITOM)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Performance Monitoring: Integrating NNMi and Network Performance Server

MichaelProcopio on ‎01-18-2016 06:56 AM ‎10-03-2016 01:57 PM Julia_Dickinson

Guest post by Mahipal Reddy Moola, Sr Software Engineer

Network management software on monitor.jpgThe Network Performance Server (NPS) extends Network Node Manager i’s (NNMi) functionality by providing a platform for performance data storage, analysis and reporting. To enable this additional capability into NNMi, you have to integrate the NNMi and NPS servers, so that they are aware of each other and generates proper reports.

NNMi and NPS integration is a two-step process. In the first step, NNMi is configured to use the NPS server by adding menus/Actions and in second step NPS is configured to use the NNMi for getting the data files to be processed, analyzed and reported.

Before starting with integration there are a few things to make sure of:
1. Firewall has to be disabled on both NNMi and NPS servers
2. NNMi and NPS servers should be in same domain and should have access to each other

On NNMi server:
Actions on NNMi can be deployed by running the nnmenableperfspi.ovpl script. This script is run automatically if the iSPI is installed with NNMi, or must be run separately on NNMi if they are not co-located.

nnmenableperfspi.ovpl:
 -> Resides in the NNMi bin directory
 -> Gathers the NNMi hostname from the system
 -> Takes the iSPI hostname, port and protocol parameters
 -> Takes share type, username, password and directory to be shared parameters
 -> Enables the shared drive
 -> Returns the share location

For running the script, NNMi and NPS should be in same domain and be able to connect to each other.
NNMi domain name can be found using nnmofficialfqdn.ovpl and if NNMi is not using fully qualified domain name (FQDN), it has to be updated before enabling NPS by running nnmsetofficialfqdn.ovpl.

Enablement of NPS
The enablement routine updates NNMi actions and menus with proper NPS host FQDN, port, and protocol. It also takes care of licensing and shared directory creation. It supports Samba for Windows NPS and NFS or CIFS for Linux. If default username is used for the share, the creation password prompt will not be shown. Creation of the share in anything other than the completely standard environment may cause problems. One of the ways an incorrectly shared drive can show up is with empty reports after an installation. Running checkStatus.ovpl will show if there are any issues with the share and file access.

You may need to stop and start all browsers in order to see the new menu items appear. Running enablement causes the various settings to be recorded in a configuration (cfg) file. This cfg file is used if enablement is subsequently called with the ‘-a’ option, allowing actions to be redeployed without the need for your interaction.

The launch actions from NNMi provide authentication and contextually sensitive launch actions from the NNMi UI to the iSPI reports.

Action files are language specific.

NPS comes with one core action ‘Reporting – Report Menu’ which has multiple copies, one per context:

• NPS: Node, Interface, Node Group, Interface Group, Incident
  • Metrics bundle: Path, Custom Poller

NPS server:
On NPS server, NNMi share details should be updated by running the runConfigurationGUI.ovpl.

runConfigurationGUI.ovpl:
-> Takes NNMi share name, username and password
-> mounts the NNMi share location on local server
-> Returns success or failure

You have to use the credentials used while creating share on NNMi server. If default username was used, do not change the username and password fields in runConfigurationGUI.ovpl wizard.

The back end of NPS relies upon access to a shared disk area which it uses to transfer information from and to NNMi. Collected data files are placed here by NNMi for gathering and processing by extract, transform, load (ETL), the shared area is also used to send messages to NNMi requesting topology or group file updates and lastly it is used to send baseline exception messages back to NNMi. This shared area must be accessible to both NNMi and NPS with full read/write permissions.

If NNMi and NPS are not co-located then a shared disk area is created to accommodate. This shared disk can be set up using nnmenableperfspi.ovpl. If a shared disk is being used, there must be read/write access with a username which is available to both NPS and NNM.

NPS provides significant addition value to NNMi by enabling the reporting on fault and performance monitoring done by NNMi. Hopefully these instructions will make your integration easy.

Mahipal Moola.jpg

About the author: Mahipal has been in the HP NMC team for over 4 years with experience in testing different products in the NMC portfolio like NNMi and different Performance iSPIs. He is presently with the NNM iSPI performance for Metrics team.

Mahipal has B.Tech degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from JNT University Hyderabad, India.

Network Node Manager i (NNMi) unifies fault, availability, and performance monitoring for your network. NNMi software helps you improve network uptime and performance, and increase responsiveness to business needs. Download a free trial today !

Tweet to us at @HPE_ITOps and let us know what you think! | Friend HPE Software on Facebook | Join our Network Management Solutions group on LinkedIn

About the Author

MichaelProcopio

HPE Software Product Marketing. Over 20 years in network and systems management.

Comments
mcornejo
on ‎05-13-2016 02:33 AM

Hello Mahipal,

I'm installing NPS to work with NNMi. 

I'm installing that in a dedicate machine (server 2008). Previusly I have installed NNMi in a server Machine (2012 R2)..

I have created a domain to connect both machines and I can access to these machine using domain credentials. However, when I execute nnmenableperfspi.ovpl script it always show the same message "The NNMi and NPS systems network domain does not match"

On the other hand, when I execute nnmofficialfqdn.ovpl script console shows 

"FQDN:
vmware081
Ping test: pinging vmware081 please wait...
ping OK"

I'm executing this script on NNMi server before installinf NPS is it correct? I m based on the installation guide but Im not sure.

Could you help me?

Best regards.

MichaelProcopio
on ‎07-22-2016 11:01 AM

As per nnmofficialfqdn.ovpl output given NNM is running with vmware081, which is not a full FQDN, but NPS will be running using full FQDN.

So, when enablement script is checking for domain matching it didn’t match.

To resolve this, pls run “nnmsetofficialfqdn.ovpl vmware081.<domain name>” (this domain name should be same as in NPS FQDN, ex: .company.com etc) and then rerun the enablement script.

To confirm if NNM is running with full fqdn after above command execution, pls re-run nnmofficialfqdn.ovpl and verify the output

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Apr 18, 2017
Houston, TX
HPE Tech Days - 2017
Follow a group of tech bloggers for a new HPE Tech Day, a full day of sessions about how to create a hybrid IT, from hyperconverged to Composable Infr...
Read more
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event