IT Operations Management (ITOM)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The keys to how inventory works in HP Network Node Manager i software

MichaelProcopio ‎09-30-2014 10:50 AM - edited ‎02-08-2015 09:34 PM

Network inventory is a basic requirement of most IT shops. As they say, “It is hard to manage your resources, If you don’t know what you have.”

This is the specialty of network management software. And HP has two products HP Network Node Manager i series (NNMi) and HP Network Automation (NA).

Both tools can create an inventory, but they work best in tandem. If both are installed, the best practice is to have NNMi discover initially and pass the information over to NA. In this post I’ll cover the functionality of NNMi, in my next post I’ll cover how NA works.

Now you can try NNMi for free

NNMi first discovers your network. You “seed” the discover by giving it the IP address of a well-connected node and it takes over the process from there by looking at connections, routing tables, etc. It populates its database with:

• Nodes
  • Interfaces
  • IP Addresses
  • SNMP Agents
  • IP Subnets
  • Virtual LANs
  • Chassis
  • Cards
  • Ports
  • Node Sensors
  • Physical Sensors
  • Layer 2 Connections
  • MIB Variables
  • Chassis Redundancy Groups
  • Card Redundancy Groups
  • Router Redundancy Groups
  • Router Redundancy Members
  • Node Groups
  • Interface Groups

You access this information in the Inventory workspace. There are some important differences between inventory workspace views that you need to know:

• The (All Attributes) table views Nodes (All Attributes), Interfaces (All Attributes), and IP Addresses (All Attributes)) shows all columns (attributes) available for the object type. Configure these views to meet your current need.
  • The other table views display a pre-determined subset of columns (attributes).

These views can be sorted or filtered by any column (for example by vendor).

When you select an object, the Analysis Pane displays in the bottom half of the window .The Analysis Pane's Details tab includes a System Description attribute with the IOS version for any Cisco device. Each tab in the Analysis Pane provides you with more details.

To learn more about NNMi visit the product page here

Other posts you might be interested in:

About the Author

MichaelProcopio

HPE Software Product Marketing. Over 20 years in network and systems management.

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Apr 18, 2017
Houston, TX
HPE Tech Days - 2017
Follow a group of tech bloggers for a new HPE Tech Day, a full day of sessions about how to create a hybrid IT, from hyperconverged to Composable Infr...
Read more
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event