IT Service Management
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 2 things I hate about IT – An employee’s take on self-service ticketing

Robert Britt

I'll second these:

• Don’t ask me for information you should already have.
  • Ask only for the information needed for understanding and solving my issue.
  • Ask all the questions relevant to my problem while I am opening the request.
  • Avoid asking me to select things like category, service or impact.  I wouldn’t know anything about that and it makes me uncomfortable to select things I don’t know.  
  • Don’t ask for priority. You know it always super-urgent to me…  However, if you ask “how it affects me?”, “can I continue to work?”, “am I blocked?” I am much less likely to “lie”. (I am not saying that I “lied” in this instance. I am just saying I have heard of other people fibbing forms. I would NEVER be dishonest. )
  • Don’t provide me with useless information. (“The request has been created”. No way!? Did the sun come up this morning too??)
0 Kudos
About the Author

Robert Britt

Comments
Robert Britt

I'll second these:

• Don’t ask me for information you should already have.
  • Ask only for the information needed for understanding and solving my issue.
  • Ask all the questions relevant to my problem while I am opening the request.
  • Avoid asking me to select things like category, service or impact.  I wouldn’t know anything about that and it makes me uncomfortable to select things I don’t know.  
  • Don’t ask for priority. You know it always super-urgent to me…  However, if you ask “how it affects me?”, “can I continue to work?”, “am I blocked?” I am much less likely to “lie”. (I am not saying that I “lied” in this instance. I am just saying I have heard of other people fibbing forms. I would NEVER be dishonest. )
  • Don’t provide me with useless information. (“The request has been created”. No way!? Did the sun come up this morning too??)
Jas1

Yup. I use a self service system where if I search for the name of my application and it can't find it, I'm stuck traversing a tree of categories and sub categories, trying to locate the group who can assist with my application.

Imagine a system where if does not ask you for the severity or priority, it ask you, "Is this urgent and why ?", the assignee can then prioritise it based on your answers like they do anyway.

Or imagine as you type in your case description, a pop up comes up, listing knowledge documents describing similar errors or latest outage that you could check out. If you find the solution, you do not even need to submit the original request.

Imagine smart analysis of your case description when you finish typing it, it will ask you relevant questions like, " I noticed that you mentioned an error, do you have the error line or error number that you can add to the case?". How often have you seen cases where the user in their haste, left out the most critical information such as the error number, often seen in forums too. Or helpful popup at the side, giving examples of what information is required for the fields that you are filling out.

Design it from the employee's point of view and not what we have always done in the past to satisfy past reporting system that requires all those fields. I describe my problem, let the technology help me in the fastest way that it could, if there's a process, let the technology assist with it or find me the easiest process. There should be more than one process available. (e.g. assisted knowledge search, live chat or direct me to a forum and not just fill in the form to get help).  Sorry, Monday rant!!

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more