IT Service Management
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 4 IT self-service benefits made possible by a well-designed search architecture

chuck_darst

This is a great post. I participated in a roundtable discussion a couple of weeks ago on self-service related topics and presenting current and relevant knowledge back to IT users/customers was a key stumbling block - once you got past password reset and dealing with common office applications.

I have to add a comment for two reasons

1. I like the concluding summary points! And maybe by posting a comment, it draws attention to the end of the article and then re-reading the summary

2. A shameless plug on the related topic of knowledge management! Register for an upcoming Relevant Knowledge Management - talking self-service to the next level brighttalk webinar on June 25th. George Spalding from Pink Elephant will be co-presenting.

Chuck Darst

0 Kudos
About the Author

chuck_darst

HPE IT Service Management Product Marketing team manager spanning our solutions for the service desk, asset mngt, CMS, and more. My background is engineering and computer science in the networking and telecom worlds. As they used to say in Telcom, "the network is the business" (hence huge focus on service management). I always enjoyed working with customers and on the business side of things, so here I am in ITSM marketing.

Comments
chuck_darst

This is a great post. I participated in a roundtable discussion a couple of weeks ago on self-service related topics and presenting current and relevant knowledge back to IT users/customers was a key stumbling block - once you got past password reset and dealing with common office applications.

I have to add a comment for two reasons

1. I like the concluding summary points! And maybe by posting a comment, it draws attention to the end of the article and then re-reading the summary

2. A shameless plug on the related topic of knowledge management! Register for an upcoming Relevant Knowledge Management - talking self-service to the next level brighttalk webinar on June 25th. George Spalding from Pink Elephant will be co-presenting.

Chuck Darst

dkalian

I guess I'm not getting it.  Outside of searching the knowledgebase, what does this give me my Google search appliance doesn't?

James Hamilton

How does this IDOL search engine interact with Knowledge Management.  Within HP Service Manager 9.31, the knowledge search engine seems very restrictive... do these technologies converge at some point?

sathiyan Srinivasan

very good article. Nice summary at the end to help narrow down what has been narrated above, when revisiting the blog its easier to look at the summary and narrow down which option we are referring back to.

lkoslows

The unique point is: it all comes out-of-the-box. No third party products to install and connect as usual with other products.

Ludger

Yariv-Snapir

dkalian - I am the last to say Google search applience isnt a very good tool and in fact its considered in the first list with IDOL in terms of enterprise search tools. Few differences you need to look at:

1. The article above is about an embedding of such a search tool into an ITSM product such that takes the search power and harness it within the ITSM product. Thus making all the product UI automatically search and context aware. There is absolutly no possible comparisson between the level of usability you get within the ITSM product in this way vs. an external integration otherwise.

2. Price. GSA takes a starting price of $20K while in SAW case you get a cloud-based, installation-free search with the possibility to index documents from on-premise databases included in the price of the ITSM tool (per sit).

With regards to the comment about SM - the post describes the HP Service Anywhere search architecture. Not Service Manager.

rcaren

This is an interesting article that leads to more questions; how far can you push the architecture, can reindexing in near real time  truly keep up, etc.  This type of search capability opens up a tremendous number of possibilities for self-service knowledge management, finding operational plans and strategies with elements in common. 

Robert Kern
I am interested in further technical details about how IDOL performs against Apache SOLR - how much of a difference it really makes. For sure sounds exciting already!
Yariv-Snapir

I can say that IDOL for sure has better language support, multiple datasource connectors (much more then SOLR has) and many more file-type indexing support - for more info Start here:http://one.hp.com/_layouts/OneHP/Group.aspx?gid=364

Blackstrider

An excellent offering for the Service Anywhere line. A good possible integration for Service Manager?

Ivis

Great post!

Looking forward to look more into SAW and it's functionality. The IDOL search engine really can make a huge difference for the users day to day  problem solving.

Adele Wilcox

We have all felt just like Donny at some point in time - searching multiple web sites or following dead-end leads/links to uncover any additional nugget that might help us and finally feeling the frustration when something we know should be simple and easy to do becomes so time consuming and complex.    

Serice Anywhere is like a breath of fresh air-  it does all of the hard work for us; searching through Service & Support offierings, native knowledge articles as well as sharepoint repositories ad then presenting that data to us in a ranked list.   Even if we don't find the exact answer that we are looking for, help from our firends or IT is just 1 click away.  

And as an IT technician, have you ever been able to know what your end-user base is searching for or asking help on?   With knowledge analytics, Service Anywhere can highlight those areas where more training is needed or knowledge articles are lacking.   Service Anywhere's built-in big data capabilities will change the ITSM landscape forever. 

John Brookes

Thank you for a very good demo story to highlight a key differentiator.

Rattan13

I love the heatmap feature, not only does it help the end user find answers to the most common problems first, but it also helps IT staff where most focus needs to be put on to eliminate these errors from occuring

Vadim Gorda

Great post!

this a real life emulation of the end user behaviour. It was always a pain for me to explain that you have to search for something in different modules separately (I do mean HP SM) and the way search works in Service Anywhere was like cure for me.

Though I have used Anywhere only for test purpose, wonder if you have ran a search in a heavy loaded system and what is the medium search response in that case?

tsenneset

Glad to see some of these features making their way into HP Service Manager, especially glad to see Hot Topic Analytics come "our way"

dunky4542

Very interesting read, i need to reaserch more on Autonomy IDOL.  I am looking forward to trialling HP Service Anywhere. 

Christian_1961

Well done, it would be great to compare this approach with extendedn ECM approaches

What are the pros and cons?

have a nice day

Christian

John Brookes

It's a great feature set, which does empoer users to resolve their own questions without IT losing sight and control. 

FrankEck

Knowledge Management and Self Service is in the mix since years, anyway I have seen up to now not one implementation which have succeded in terms of usability, getting different sources together, minimize administration efforts and make the incident, change process leaner.

I'm really keen to try this with IDOL in 2015 !

Hans van Dijk

The fastest way to find the information I am looking for is actually - provided it is in the open - using google search. This saved me a couple of times when I was in urgent need of some document. Now just imagine you can do the same on the intranet...

Another one, I think you should add this as a risk as well since users try to find the information they are looking for and will hit google or other search engines. An experienced hacker will be able to get access to these search queries.

Stuart Crann

What's interesting is that as Service Manager moves towards Service Anywhere, where does IDOL and the search engine benefit? Does the future look the same?

Yariv-Snapir

Hi Everyone, thanks for keeping the comment thread on this alive. 

Some points:

1. There is already Hot topic analytics being used with Service Manager (not sure its called in the same way but it exists).

2. Average response time of searchs is 2 seconds

3. Regarding comments on usage of google search to solve problems. I will be the last to say this isnt a valid approach. But mostly when you know what you are doing and you know how to find good solutions amongst many crappy forum posts. The advantage in an "in-house" knowledge search is that the solution had all been tried and work in your specific company environment (LAN, security constraints, your company software version etc... so it should be more reliable).

And finally - if you hadnt try it yet - go ahead - what are you waiting for 

Piku

Approach sound good and impressive but in real time indexing may impact the performance of application. Is there any stress and load test result to verify the same. 

cb44

Thoughts on role based searching?  We see a lot of focus on "IT knowledge" which the business shouldn't see, and while that may be a necessary evil, supressing content can diminish the effectiveness of the tool.

mzbslv

NIce post about finding even that what you were not looking for but what's really handy or helpful to be aware of (also).
It's putting an automated analysis on a silver plate: Problem management (analyzing incidents) was never so easy and fast.

Organizing/structuring unstructuredness is very useful to spot the big pains.

Jeff Hall

Thank you Yariv-Snapir! Very helpful article. 

pete willis

I really enjoyed the heatmap feature, I think it will help focus needs and eliminate errors

pete willis

I enjoyed the heatmap feature, helping the end user find answers to problemsand helping IT teams focus  on eliminating these errors.

Brindusa Kevorkian

Since the original post, the Hot Topics feature has evolved. For example now you can edit the stop list and exclude certain words.

dkara

Ease on ServiceDesk groups. Always glad to hear something in this direction...

darrenj1

powerul if implimented well.

Joseph Loccisano

details about how IDOL performs against Apache SOLR  is very interested would definetly like to learn more about it.

Joseph Loccisano

does IDOL search engine interact with Knowledge Management, would be my question? I think its a great article and interesting read and thoughts.

JoaoMorgado

Well done. This is one of the best things that HPE delivers to customers through SM and SAW.

Yariv-Snapir

To answer above question. OF COURSE IDOL searches articles from knowledge management and we even use it to proactivly suggest knowledge base matches for solving tickets...

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more